Paduak Bullet (one slippery SOB)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ToddMR

ToddMR

So I decided to try a super small pen. This little bullet pen was both fun and trouble some. This is Paduak wood I had left over after making my wife a Diplomat II pen with it. This wood turns super easy. I sanded dry up to 600 grit and then started doing my CA finish. Well I tried to rush it......bad Todd!.......It started flaking off from the top layer drying before the bottom one. I sanded it back off and then did the CA correctly. I did sand 400 grit between every other coating. I worked up to about 6 coats of CA. Then I did my MM all the way up and applied some polish. When I was assembling the bottom tube came out on me. I already had the tip and the transmission in there. I wiped on some more CA and then shoved it in quick so it didn't get stuck part way out. The ink refill is kind of a pain on these as you have to adjust this tiny little nut, but got that done and got it all together. Once I went to bring it in I realized it was a slippery little sucker as I almost dropped it on the concrete as it slipped right out of my fingers. I caught it and put it in my shirt pocket. It was fun, but I spent a lot of time on it. Not for someone who has big hands for sure. Any comments are welcome.

147881-438x.jpg
147882-438x.jpg
147883-438x.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phillywood

Todd, nice looking pen and finish. what's the story about it being so fat. does it fit right in your hand as you said a big hand? Or, is it just your design.

for the other guys, can you help me with what's up with padauk for finishing I've got some from other members?

ToddMR

Todd, nice looking pen and finish. what's the story about it being so fat. does it fit right in your hand as you said a big hand? Or, is it just your design.

for the other guys, can you help me with what's up with padauk for finishing I've got some from other members?

The pen is meant to be fat & stubby, that's the bullet style of it. Being under 4" in total length for me with big hands means its too small to use easily. I think if you made it skinner it wouldn't look right. The center band is wider too. The instructions that I had, showed the end result being a little fatter on the ends but I wanted to trim to down a little more.

phillywood

The pen is meant to be fat & stubby, that's the bullet style of it. Being under 4" in total length for me with big hands means its too small to use easily. I think if you made it skinner it wouldn't look right. The center band is wider too. The instructions that I had, showed the end result being a little fatter on the ends but I wanted to trim to down a little more.

todd thank you for the clarification, I wasn't sure if that was the style. You can tell that i've got a lot to learn, HUh?

Top Bottom