Padauk - Emperor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim15

This is my latest Emperor. Comments welcomed. Still working on my photography.

2006101014404_Padauk%20Emperor.jpg

20061010144029_Padauk%20Emperor%202.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Put that one in the great looking Emporer file.!
Both the wood and the components compliment rather than compete with each other.
Excellent execution and selection.
It looks like it has a great finish, something not that easy with Paduk.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />I like it! Just wait until it turns more red! Mine have turned almost maroon in color.

Billy, you sorta partially answered a question I was going to post. Having never used paduk, I'm wondering if it eventually turns very dark or brown. I like his Emp. and the color it is now.

gerryr

[:0][:p]Wow, that is a beautiful pen. I have an un-used Jr. Emperor and same Padauk, guess I better get busy. The finish is great. Is it CA or ? I have stayed away from Padauk because I always have trouble filling that hugely open grain.

mick

Beautiful pen. I've been a fan of Paduak since I started turning. On a side note to what Billy said and Frank mentioned, I wonder if Paduak will darken if you use a finish that has a UV prohibitor in it?

redfishsc

Yes, a UV inhibitor will slow it down, depending on the strength of the inhibitor. I have access to great UV-inhibiting finishes (catalyzed urethanes for exterior woodworking) but the stuff is $100 a gallon, and you need 4 gallons (sealer, topcoat, catalyst, and reducer) to get started.

Mind you, that would coat a MOUND of pens. But not $300-400 worth at the rate I make pens. Some of the other folks here might benefit from it if they make several pens a day.

Jim15

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. It is a CA finish using Fangers method. I think I used 4 coats of thin CA instead of two before the coats of medium CA. I dont know if it is going to get darker or not. Hopefully it will stay close to the way it looks now.

Thanks again everyone,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom