See more from OSCAR15

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSCAR15

Another polaris Padauk wood w/ Friction shellac finish

2006317151016_PADAUKPOLARIS.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveRoberts

I love the color combo, I use really, really handpicked bloodwood and black also. Maybe because the bloodwood smells like cherry pie on the lathe, and I get dermititis from the paduak... go figure.

Steve

OSCAR15

Originally posted by whatwoodido
<br />
Originally posted by jdavis
<br />does it turn easy? color is great

Padauk has four problems:
1. As mentioned above many people are allergic to it.
2. It is mildly carcenogenic.
3. It creates a really messy fine sanding dust.
4. It slowly turns brown.

I am not allergic to Padauk and I personally do turn it from time to time.

Good alternaives for this kind of color are Bloodwood (red) and Paela (red-orange).

Drew

Hey Drew....What you are saying is true, but....MANY woods are somewhat carcenogenic...(what isn't these days?).
All wood dust is messy. Many woods (purpleheart for example) will change color. My point being...If you like how it looks, go ahead and turn it....Oscar

OSCAR15

Drew....I also like to turn Bloodwood. It is probably my favorite, and you are right in that it doesn't change its color. Of all the masks I have tried (so as not to inhale wood dust), a friend suggested one called Dust Bee Gone. It runs about 35 dollars, but I must say it is WELL worth the cost. Does a great job in blocking the dust, does not make you feel suffocated, and is washable...
Padauk, for all its faults, is a unique color (that I wish was more stable). Do you know of a dye or stain that will mimic it? I would love to find a closer alternative (bloodwood is more of a brighter red hue)....How is this Paela? Closer to padauk? I have not seen it before...Oscar

airrat

Oscar here is a link to Paela. Not sure if I feel its color comes close to Padauk. (Unless you find the right pieces)
http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/paela.htm

Here is a link to Peroba Rosa, Its color is unique.
http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/peroba%20rosa.htm

Here is a picture of a pen Hastur did.
http://www.penturners.org/oldalbums/Hastur/peroba%20rosa.jpg

OSCAR15

airrat: Thanks for those links. I will definately look into it. I like the looks of red hued wood best. Once again, thanks! OSCAR

OSCAR15

DREW: Thanks...I did not take it as a criticism though (I welcome criticism, thats what makes all of our work better). I am definately going to look into the Paela. I have used Bloodwood and loved it. I prefer reddish hues in wood to other choices. I have also heard the Triton mask is terrific. Reason I didn't get one is financial. This hobby/obsession can be costly (as I am sure you well know). I have tried to cut corners when it can be done. I am planning to order some of the paela as soon as I can. Once again..Thanks! Oscar

Originally posted by whatwoodido
<br />Oscar-
Let me start by saying I think your pen looks nice and at no point was I intending to criticize either your work or your choice in wood. I have made a couple of very nice Padauk boxes, pens and bowls, but I do so being well informed of the nastiness that Padauk can carry with it. I don't use enough to be too fearful of the health fears.

I think you should try some Paela, the color is a bit more vivid than Paduak and everything I have read is that it is very color stable. It is a bit more orange than fresh cut Padauk, but the color is stable. The unique thing about Paela is that the color shifts along the grain not just against it. It is also more fine grained similar to bloodwood.

I have the Triton positive pressure mask. It is nice but a bit awkward at first because of the weight.

Drew

Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom