Over the Top with Momo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Robert111

Robert111

I've been looking at the special edition Delta Momo in the catalogs and finally had to give in. Call it a guilty pleasure, and my apologies to the traditionalists.

Attachments

• Momo-Style Segmented Fountain Pen 004.jpg
    Momo-Style Segmented Fountain Pen 004.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 317
  • Momo-Style Segmented Fountain Pen 009.jpg
    Momo-Style Segmented Fountain Pen 009.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 223
  • Momo-Style Segmented Fountain Pen 012.jpg
    Momo-Style Segmented Fountain Pen 012.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 250
  • Momo-Style Segmented Fountain Pen 006.jpg
    Momo-Style Segmented Fountain Pen 006.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 200
  • Momo-Style Segmented Fountain Pen 011.jpg
    Momo-Style Segmented Fountain Pen 011.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 227
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jjjaworski

I like the look. Great job on the pen.
The big question on my mind is where you got the kit. I generally look at blanks and not items like this. I should change my ways since I'm missing the boat here.

Jim

Robert111

Beautiful pen. I love it. Retro style but cutting edge.

Thanks, Bob.

I like the look. Great job on the pen.
The big question on my mind is where you got the kit. I generally look at blanks and not items like this. I should change my ways since I'm missing the boat here.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. The parts are from Churchill (center band and bottom finial) and El Grande (section, clip and upper finial).

Segmenting blanks can be very frustrating. This one wasn't bad--just had to do the blanks over once. I used to make a lot of segmented pens and have acquired a Woodchuck tool since then.

My opinion is that the Woodchuck takes a lot of the risk out of segmented turning. Once you're used to it, it's smoother turning than with any other tool I can think of. I had trouble finding specific instructions for using the Woodchuck and had lots of trouble at first. Then I was advised to turn up the speed and use the tool at an angle. All downhill from there.

plano_harry

I came up with the same approach on the woodchuck. Looks like some instructions would help! If I have a difficult blank or segments, I hold a 30-40 degree angle. I am turning everything fast now, it is working much better. :) I do seem to be wearing the carbide faster than I expected...

I really like the pen! Thanks for the notes on the componenets.
My opinion is that the Woodchuck takes a lot of the risk out of segmented turning. Once you're used to it, it's smoother turning than with any other tool I can think of. I had trouble finding specific instructions for using the Woodchuck and had lots of trouble at first. Then I was advised to turn up the speed and use the tool at an angle. All downhill from there.

Last edited:

jjjaworski

I see. I was thinking it was a commercial blank or kit.

Great job on the segmenting. I do like the design very much. Thanks for the info on the parts used as well.

Jim

Justturnin

Just blown away. If I had to pick one thing, I would like to see the long piece of black in the cap broken up. Maybe w/ some of the white bands you have on the body. Just me though. You surely have a talent here. Great job.

Gilrock

When I read you're description yesterday I thought you said you were looking at it in a catalog and broke down and ordered it. I didn't realize you made it. Awesome job with the segmenting.

Robert111

I came up with the same approach on the woodchuck. Looks like some instructions would help! If I have a difficult blank or segments, I hold a 30-40 degree angle. I am turning everything fast now, it is working much better. :) I do seem to be wearing the carbide faster than I expected...

I really like the pen! Thanks for the notes on the componenets.

I agree that some instructions would help. Maybe by now there's a YouTube video.

And recently I started using a corner to start and push a cut across the blank, and this works really well for smooth cutting, just don't cut too deep and push too hard.

I see. I was thinking it was a commercial blank or kit.

Great job on the segmenting. I do like the design very much. Thanks for the info on the parts used as well.

Jim

Jim, thanks for the positive feedback. I saw the Delta Momo and my first reaction was kind of shock. Then I kind of liked it. It still seems outrageously overdone, but I like the color combo. I'm thinking of how I can do a cap with the transparent part that shows the nib inside.

Beautiful Robert. Would have been really cool if the major black sections were carbon fiber. I think I like yours more than the real Momo.

Thanks, Chris. I agree that it would have been cool to use the carbon fiber and I gave it some thought. Of course it would have meant segmenting blanks in a tube size that CF comes in, and I wanted to use the Cambridge/Churchill/El Grande parts. To my knowledge no one's making CF blanks in 31 and 33/64".
Fantastic! Excellent work

Thanks, Stan!

Just blown away. If I had to pick one thing, I would like to see the long piece of black in the cap broken up. Maybe w/ some of the white bands you have on the body. Just me though. You surely have a talent here. Great job.

Thanks, Chris! Yes, as I said above, I wish I could figure out how to make a cap with a clear section that shows the nib inside like the real Momo. I've come regret the white bands on the barrel, actually. I think I should have used aluminum instead.

When I read you're description yesterday I thought you said you were looking at it in a catalog and broke down and ordered it. I didn't realize you made it. Awesome job with the segmenting.

Gil, thank you. Yes, I misled a few people with that description. I like to look at the regular retail pens from the big-name designers. I get catalogs from a couple pen stores and I check out name brand pens on Amazon too. Always interesting to see what the top designers are doing.

wizard

Robert,
I collect Delta Fountain and am familiar with most of their designs including the Momo...Jeez..I did a double take when I saw your pen!! Very nice job..Keep it up!! Doc:)

Top Bottom