Outside The MAPG Box!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

This pen, my MAPG 2016 pen contest entry, was literally outside the box as it would not fit in the contest pen box!

I made this desk pen with base for the Mission Impossible Contest. It does have a required cross style refill and does not have more than two exposed slim line pen parts.....I read that to also mean zero parts exposed as there was not a minimum.
The nib is a snug slip fit into about one inch of 7mm pen tube

The base and pen are cherry with a black ebonite nib. The surface embellishment you see is Lichtenberg Fractal figuring which is done with high voltage, couple of electrodes and water! :eek:.....no electrodes were harmed in the making of this pen :big grin:

The base sphere was hand turned between centers (no sphere cutting jig) and the hole for the pen nib as well as the foot area were turned on the lathe as well.
Finish: Several coats of Tung Oil Finish and buffed.

I did run into several challenges but persevered and came out with a unique pen!

By the way, this pen was voted second place winner in the Mission Impossible category.

Many thanks to the judges who thought this pen was worthy of this title.

Attachments

• IMG_3209.jpg
    IMG_3209.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_3205.jpg
    IMG_3205.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_3155.jpg
    IMG_3155.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_3143.jpg
    IMG_3143.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_3141.jpg
    IMG_3141.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 231
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

This pen was even more impressive in person and Charlie very graciously let me pick his brain on how it was done. Charlie failed to mention just how dangerous this approach can be. "high voltage, couple of electrodes and water! :eek:" says it all. Beautiful work.

This pen almost didn't happen but a week before MAPG Charlie was inspired and hit the workshop. I'm so glad he did and tried something outside the box.

Charlie_W

Thanks all for the kind words and likes!
I really like the look this type of embellishment gives to a sometimes ordinary looking piece. It was also fun working on another MAPG pen.

Top Bottom