Out of Africa, but not with Merryl Streep.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Anglesachse

Anglesachse

last week a colleague of mine bought a pen from me for his wife.
He then said " I`ve got a nice piece of wood that I brought with me out of Africa when I finished my tour with the old Company.
OK, lets go.
about 6 pounds weight and dry as a bone.
cut, turned ( hard as iron, flakey as old wheat, and full of cracks). But a wonderful grain.
I still have no idea what wood it is.
I can only use one small piece of this, ( this pen and one for me), but I think it was worth it.
A part of the cut-off is the pen stand.
I like it , I hope you do.

Attachments

• IMG_6338.jpg
    IMG_6338.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_6339.jpg
    IMG_6339.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_6340.jpg
    IMG_6340.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 236
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

donstephan

Always cringe when reading about wood transport, even between states. Dutch elm disease, Japanese beetles, Asian longhorn beetle, ash borer, walnut canker . . . I'm sure your friend had good intentions, and the transport may have been before the risks were better known.

Houtkop

Very nice pen. If I look at the colour of the wood, sapwood and outer surface I looks like some wood we get from one of the Acacia Thorn tree species,Kameeldoring (Acacia erioloba),Camel thorn direct translation, although it should actually be Giraffe thorn. At 1 144 kg/m3 id would fit your description. Would help to know which part of Africa it came from.

Herb G

Very nice pen. If I look at the colour of the wood, sapwood and outer surface I looks like some wood we get from one of the Acacia Thorn tree species,Kameeldoring (Acacia erioloba),Camel thorn direct translation, although it should actually be Giraffe thorn. At 1 144 kg/m3 id would fit your description. Would help to know which part of Africa it came from.

I tend to agree. I saw a hunk of Acacia wood years ago. What you have there looks very much like it.

Anglesachse

Thank you,
The wood came from the Lagos area of Nigeria. He found on the street after a heavy storm.

Anglesachse

Always cringe when reading about wood transport, even between states. Dutch elm disease, Japanese beetles, Asian longhorn beetle, ash borer, walnut canker . . . I'm sure your friend had good intentions, and the transport may have been before the risks were better known.

Very true, this was brought over about 30 years ago, when he was still in, what was then, East Germany,

Top Bottom