Our first pens to post

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lyonsacc

lyonsacc

Here we go - The slimline pen and pencil set is cherry. I turned the pen, my 11 year old daughter turned the pencil. The Cigar Pen is buckeye burl - my first attempt at turning burl (not stabilized). I have learned a lot from all of your posts. Comments welcome!

Dave

Attachments

• 9-14-12 525-2.jpg
    9-14-12 525-2.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 263
  • 9-14-12 526-2.jpg
    9-14-12 526-2.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 306
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Dave you and your kid are off to a good start. I noticed the nib end of the cigar is a little overturned. I'd reccomend that you get yourself a set of calipers and don't rely strictly on the bushings. They don't have to be anything special. I personally use a set from Grizzly G9808 4" Dial Caliper, but a set from harbor freight would probably work just as well. As with everything; the more you do the better you'll get.

PenMan1

Looks like you two are off to a GREAT start. Some of the best "newbie" pens I seen in a while. Nice clean, elegent lines without the "doodahs" that we all get tempted by when first starting out.

I missed your introduction post, so "welcome aboard" and I look forward to watching your works progress.

Nicely done, and even an acceptable job on the photos ( a hard task for most of us).

Respectfully submitted.

Jim Burr

Banned
Really nice job Dave...and a high 5 to the girls!! Un-stabilized buckeye isn't easy!! I have a bunch and I stabilize all of it now. Try some stabilized in the future...you'll love it! You guys did a great job on the slims, nice to see a slimline actually be a slimline!

Bowl Slinger

Much better than my first one. A little tip....Dont be afraid to think outside of the bushings. Be creative and imagine a a shape that will feel good in your hand.
Welcome from the Evergreen State!

lyonsacc

Thanks for all of the positive comments.

The finish is CA - a couple thin layers, a couple medium, then 1 or 2 more thin. Might try BLO CA next.

I got the buckeye burl before I understood what stabilizing was. I'll probably send most of the other blanks out somewhere to get them stabilized.

Dustygoose

Very nice!! Tell your daughter she did an excelent job. My daughter picks some blanks and hardware plating. She is my hardest customer too...lol she loves rollerballs.

Top Bottom