Osage Orange Olympian Elite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from louisbry

louisbry

This is the first time I used this style of kit. I kind of like it because it really shows off the blank and the pen is relatively light for a larger pen.
Comments are always welcome.

1_Osage_Orange_Olympian_Elite.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

louie68

Nice looking pen !!! I did one last week my first one also but well got to excited when pressing the coupler with threads and crack the threads. but it stills screw ok, it was a gift for father inlaw. So what did you do so not to crack the threads?
I really like the wood you use. Louie

louisbry

Nice looking pen !!! I did one last week my first one also but well got to excited when pressing the coupler with threads and crack the threads. but it stills screw ok, it was a gift for father inlaw. So what did you do so not to crack the threads?
I really like the wood you use. Louie

I made sure no glue was inside the tubes and exercised care while pressing in the parts.

Love the look of that!! Cross grain? Give any extra problems? Care to share the source for those blanks?

I cut the blanks myself from green logs. It did not give me any extra problems, but had to sharpen my gouge several times since Osage Orange is such a hard wood when dry. I will probably make the blanks available in the individual classified section.

GaryMGg

It bears repeating: cross-cut Osage Orange makes one gorgeous blank for pens!
I've found it turns a warm brown over time.
Has anyone found a way to preserve the yellow of fresh turned OO?

David Keller

Great looking pen.

No way that I know of to keep the vibrant yellow color, but the warm tones it takes on over time is pretty nice anyway.

louisbry

Great looking pen.

No way that I know of to keep the vibrant yellow color, but the warm tones it takes on over time is pretty nice anyway.

How long will it take for the yellow color to fade? I am going to try using a yellow artisan dye to overcolor the blank and see if that preserves the look.

Top Bottom