Osage Orange Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
A friend gave me a blank today . I decided to put it on a Black titanium Cigar kit from Ernie at Beartooth Woods . It has a couple of small knots on the upper barrel . It appears to have some dust in the grain , although I did use DNA between each grit . The dust is really fine powder . MM to 12000 , CA/BLO 3 times , MM to 12000 again & Renwax . Any comments or suggestions welcomed ! He has one more blank , and I think there's alot of room for improvement . Thanks for looking !! [8D]

20084185539_IMG_0082.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Chuck the pen looks pretty good, Bois D`arch (Osage Orange) is a beautiful wood, but you may have noticed it's harder than an ex wifes heart!! usually the grain is pretty tight so there isn't much place for dust to hide, but compressed air will get it out.
I've toyed with the idea of turning some OO and finish sanded then let it sit for about six months until it changes to that silky dark orange,then hit it with CA, But since I live in Tennessee there isn't much around, Lord do I miss Texas

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for reminding me Rick ! I read this discussion about a month ago . Got two can of Endust Duster . I will try that next time .
Originally posted by rherrell

Nice job, Chuck. Try using compressed air instead of DNA. Alot less hassle and better results,IMO.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
That's funny about the ex-wifes heart ! ROTF I've got three of 'em ! Yes it was hard and when I hit those knots it was all over with . Let me know if your six month wait was worth it . OO apparently , is hard to find here in Indiana too . My friend gave me this blank cut to .5" x .5" X 5.25 He says he may have enough for one more . I'll ask him where we can get more . This blank was very bright yellow . He says it turns green . Either before or after sunlight . I don't remember which . Do you know about this ? Is he right ? Thanks for the comments everyone ! [8D]
Originally posted by bitshird

Chuck the pen looks pretty good, Bois D`arch (Osage Orange) is a beautiful wood, but you may have noticed it's harder than an ex wifes heart!! usually the grain is pretty tight so there isn't much place for dust to hide, but compressed air will get it out.
I've toyed with the idea of turning some OO and finish sanded then let it sit for about six months until it changes to that silky dark orange,then hit it with CA, But since I live in Tennessee there isn't much around, Lord do I miss Texas

Sylvanite

Osage orange is a very recongizable wood. Those who know it will stop in their tracks when they see an OO pen. My last OO cigar pen went to a forrester who said "Hey! That's osage orange" while browsing my inventory.

Good luck and good turning,
Eric

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks guys ! When I got this blank , it looked this color :) but got darker with the CA application . Any recommendations ? I'd like to see the next one more the original color , but would still like the glossy finish . Thanks to all for looking !! [8D]

redfishsc

I've never seen OO that was that open grained. Are you sure that's not yellowheart or movinguie?

Either way, excellent work. You can make a nice billy club out of OO to keep the ex's down in Texas, as George Straight might say.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Redfish ! I'm going by what my friend called it . ( should have put that in the OP ) I didn't question him " cause I don't know the difference . Can we still call it OO ?? [:eek:)]
Originally posted by redfishsc

I've never seen OO that was that open grained. Are you sure that's not yellowheart or movinguie?

Either way, excellent work. You can make a nice billy club out of OO to keep the ex's down in Texas, as George Straight might say.

Top Bottom