"Original Cactus Pen"™

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I had my camera out a few nights ago so I took a couple of pictures. This is an Elegant Sierra with a Crystal Clear "Original Cactus Blank"™ reverse painted with metallic blue Testors Acryl paint. It has a CA finish and it my daily carry pen.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cactus Elegant Sierra Blue1.jpg
    Cactus Elegant Sierra Blue1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 753
  • Cactus Elegant Sierra Blue2.jpg
    Cactus Elegant Sierra Blue2.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 756
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

Another Beautiful pen. I like the way you reverse painted the tube with colors other than black and white which is what I've been doing. Great job. Can't wait to get my cactus blanks. Regards, Doc

jttheclockman

Curtis

Very nice job all around . Looks good with the blue. After you cast the blank, do you have to top coat with CA to get an even feel???

Wondering how that type blank would look with a metalic paint underneath??? Might make it pop even more. Could either powdercoat it or use automotive paint. Tons of cool colors to choose from. I am going to do this with my watch pens.:) That is OK you can use the idea:biggrin:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Curtis

Very nice job all around . Looks good with the blue. After you cast the blank, do you have to top coat with CA to get an even feel???

Wondering how that type blank would look with a metalic paint underneath??? Might make it pop even more. Could either powdercoat it or use automotive paint. Tons of cool colors to choose from. I am going to do this with my watch pens.:) That is OK you can use the idea:biggrin:

John,

This IS metallic paint. It is a very nice blue metallic, too. It looks great in person and shimmers in the light. After turning any "Original Cactus Blank"™ pen blanks, I highly suggest some type of film finish. This is mainly due to the fact that when you turn it, some of the cactus is exposed on the surface. I refurbished a pen made by someone else with a cactus blank that was not finished with CA and the oils from the customer's skin had affected the cactus skeleton and made it a little grungy looking. I just feel that if you are going to make a pen of this caliber, you owe it to your customers to make sure it will look good as long as possible.

jttheclockman

Curtis

John,

This IS metallic paint. It is a very nice blue metallic, too. It looks great in person and shimmers in the light. After turning any "Original Cactus Blank"™ pen blanks, I highly suggest some type of film finish. This is mainly due to the fact that when you turn it, some of the cactus is exposed on the surface. I refurbished a pen made by someone else with a cactus blank that was not finished with CA and the oils from the customer's skin had affected the cactus skeleton and made it a little grungy looking. I just feel that if you are going to make a pen of this caliber, you owe it to your customers to make sure it will look good as long as possible.

Had another one of those DUH moments:sleepy: Having alot of those lately. I did not see you mentioned it was a metallic paint. Yes I bet it does look great because that was the first thing I thought of when it was posted. Add some sparkle and that thing would pop. Photos just sometimes don't do a pen justice. A nice green one with the same type paint should look sharp too. I bet you have done that already too and I missed it.( DUH moment???)

Thanks for showing.

Top Bottom