Oriental Dragon Commission

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elkhorn

elkhorn

I have a good customer that wanted an Oriental Dragon in gold, with dark green abalone. After some help from IAP members, I found the kit and ordered the green abalone blank from Signature Pen Supply.

I replaced the "ruby" with a dark green Swarovski crystal, which I think compliments the green abalone better than the ruby.

C & C welcome.

Attachments

• Dragon closed.jpg
    Dragon closed.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 373
  • Dragon open.jpg
    Dragon open.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 364
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

That pen is superb !!!! . Fantastic job !!

Tell me ... is it difficult to replace the crystal ?

I would appreciate knowing what technique you used to do the replacement, please.

elkhorn

Mal, replacing the crystal is difficult. I ended up bringing it to a jeweler friend. The cap is cast base metal, so you can't pry up the prongs that hold the crystal in place. They had to be cut off and the crystal had to be cut up to get it out without damaging any of the cap. Since I had a 8 mm round crystal, he had to grind some of the inside base down to accommodate it.

So long story short, I had an expert do it:)

elkhorn

Phil, John and Mal, thanks for the comments. I appreciate it.

John, the gold oriental dragon kit is hard to find. Exotic Blanks were out, so I turned to the members here on IAP to find one.

elkhorn

Seth, Steve, Cody,Jim, Ankur: thanks for the compliments everyone. They are very much appreciated. Thanks should go to Signature Pen Supply for the great blank and the help.

Steve: Dragons do rule! It took awhile to find what I thought was the right crystal. I had my fingers crossed when I gave it to the jeweler!

Mal, you're welcome. Sorry I didn't have a simpler solution for you.

OZturner

Magnificent Pen John.
Outstanding Green Abalone Blank.
Expertly Turned, Fitted and Finished.
The Addition of the "Emerald" Swarovski Crystal was Inspirational.
Congratulations, my Friend.
Brian.

MikeL

Great pen and great photography. The replacement crystal just might be adopted by the manufacturer. It looks much better.

elkhorn

Thanks for the compliment, Mike, I appreciate it. If they could mount the crystal without the prongs it would make it easier to switch out if needed.

Top Bottom