an organ donor and pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from luckyscroller788

Meet Cleo. Cleo is our blue and gold macaw, the boss of the household. Cleo unknowingly became an organ donor to support my pen turning addiction. We always saved the molted feathers and other than giving some away to a couple people that do fly tying we didn't know what to do with them. After seeing the works of art created by John Underhill ( JohnU) in his feather blanks, I brought a few of the feathers to the MPG and gave them to him to use. Well, a couple weeks later, I got a couple really nice blanks from him with Cleo's feathers in them. This was my first time turning a feather blank, but it really was no harder than turning any other man-made blank (the hard part was already done by John, placing the feathers). He sent us two blanks, so I figured I would turn one, and Linda (SWMBO) could turn the other. She picked this blank to turn, but since she beat me to the Cigar pen bushings that I was going to use today, I took this blank and turned this blank, she can use the other one! The Pen kit is a chrome/gunmetal Ellipse kit .A picture just cant show the beauty in that blank!
Not meaning to sound like a commercial, but both the pen kit, and John Underhills awesome feather blanks are available at exoticblanks.com

Attachments

• SAM_5891.jpg
    SAM_5891.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 140
  • SAM_5889.jpg
    SAM_5889.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 246

JohnU

Thanks Dale, It was my pleasure. I really appreciate the feathers and I'm glad you like the blanks. You have a beautiful bird and I love working with macaw feathers. They are definitely one of my favorites but also one of the hardest to cast because they are so much thicker than most feathers. Their beauty makes up for their difficulty.
Thanks again!
John

Top Bottom