Oregon Tru-Quarter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from HeathRiley

HeathRiley

Here's one from a pair of nearly identical twins commissioned by my state representative. He asked for a couple pens that symbolized Oregon, preferably with some Oregon timber, to give as gifts.

The barrels are Oregon Myrtlewood (much better to turn and prettier than Doug Fir). Finished with spray on poly.

Obviously, Seamus' artwork makes these pens; the Oregon state quarter portraying Crater Lake is masterfully scrolled and placed on a background of navy blue, the same color as the state flag. This also fills in the crystal blue waters of the lake. There is a deviation from Seamus' other work: the state flag is not included. I felt that this would have made the pens a bit too busy, especially with such a simple barrel and hardware.

Needless to say, the Representative was thoroughly pleased. I'm sure he was expecting some fairly plain, all wood pens.

All feedback is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• oregon_capped.jpg
    oregon_capped.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 398
  • oregon_uncapped.jpg
    oregon_uncapped.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 371
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

I just watched some videos online of a guy cutting coins (and making the jig). Looks very tedious to say the least! Even with the jig to hold the coin!

seamus7227

I just watched some videos online of a guy cutting coins (and making the jig). Looks very tedious to say the least! Even with the jig to hold the coin!

Yeah people have been doing this for years! I've just taken it up a notch and made some adjustments, yes, It is very tedious! You should go check out the Virginia State Quarter I just did!

HeathRiley

Thanks, folks!

I'm told that the Governor received his pen last night. Hopefully I'll be able to acquire a photo of him with it in the near future.

I'm not positive who the recipient of the other pen will be...I think the Representative might have a hard time parting with it ;)

glycerine

Yeah people have been doing this for years! I've just taken it up a notch and made some adjustments, yes, It is very tedious! You should go check out the Virginia State Quarter I just did!

Yes, I saw the Virginia one too. I've seen it being done back when I was a kid, but that guy was using a "jewelry saw"/Hacksaw. You should look into some foreign coins also, I've seen some really neat designs...

Top Bottom