Oregon Myrtlewood....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Marc Phillips

Marc Phillips

This is weird wood... My FIL is from Oregon and asked me about making him a pen with Oregon Myrtle wood... I found some on Ebay and made this... It was really plain and an ugly color, but there is some grain and a couple of tiny knots... character stuff... but really plain. I tried adding blue stain, then some red.... and most of it just wiped right off and wouldn't penetrate... so pppttt.... went ahead and finished it and, well... there ya have it!

MyrtlewoodEuro3-25-08.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

winpooh498

Marc,
The pen looks very nice. But yes Myrtle wood is VERY plain. Most of our pens and bottle stoppers are out of myrtle, since we live in Oregon the stores we sell at mainly want it. You have to look hard to find some with good color and figure. If you ever need more let us know, we have some that is amazing.

doddman70

Originally posted by winpooh498

Marc,
The pen looks very nice. But yes Myrtle wood is VERY plain. Most of our pens and bottle stoppers are out of myrtle, since we live in Oregon the stores we sell at mainly want it. You have to look hard to find some with good color and figure. If you ever need more let us know, we have some that is amazing.

What she said!:D[:p]

the pen looks very nice. i could not tell you why but we probably sell more plain myrtlewood pens than ones with a lot of figure by 3 or 4 to 1 go figure:D

leatherjunkie

Yep oregon myrtlewood can be very plain.

I think that it works best for bowels, oil lamps and flat work.

Your pen looks great. i have yet to find some or myrtlewood to do that for me yet. Most of the or myrtlewood that I have has a lot of dark grain and light grain mixture.

I purchased my or myrtlewood from various myrtlewood shops around the coast here in oregon.

I even had a board of spalted or myrtlewood.

Try turning a bowel out of or myrtlewood and you should find that it turns real easy and the grain looks great as a bowel.

rhahnfl

Nice looking pen. Looks like it has even a trace of curl to it. Wonder if the wax myrtle I cut down a couple of weeks ago will look anything like it? That's the fun... don't know what you've really got 'til it's done... sounds like a song. :D You take paradise and put up a parking lot! :D:D

Dario

That is a plain looking myrtlewood but you did good never the less.

Wish you contacted me before I sold this myrtlewood piece though (just sold yesterday). ;)

P1050633a.jpg

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by Dario

That is a plain looking myrtlewood but you did good never the less.

Wish you contacted me before I sold this myrtlewood piece though (just sold yesterday). ;)

That's not Oregon Myrtle wood though... it's that Tasmanium or uhh...

Beautiful wood ya had there sir.... would have loved to have had it!

JohnU

Nice looking pen! I had a guy ask for myrtle a while ago and picked up a small chunk expecting something but even though it was a bit colorless it was what he wanted... Myrtle. I used a ca / blo finish that brought out some character in the wood that wasnt seen in sanding stage.

Top Bottom