Orange Peel Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dai Sensei

Dai Sensei

Orange quadrants dried in the dehydrator, glued together with orange tinted epoxy, then stabilized with Cactus Juice.

1_orange_peel_pen.jpg

If it had worked I was going to make matching lemon and lime pens too, but it doesn't really impress me.

Cheers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Cool cross-cut orange blank!!! I'd say go for the others and sell them as a set! Outside of the box thinking......yup.

Scott (can't push him in a corner) B

Katsin

Impressive! Maybe if you used some dye to pump up the color that is lost in the casting and bring it back closer to the original fruit color (brighter). If more of the bright color was there I think a matched lemon/lime/orange set would look great.

Dai Sensei

Wow, thanks for the replies, here i was thinking it was only so so :redface:.

Maybe i will look into the others or perhaps a combined one. I actually wanted the peel to be curved so i got a wave action going, but as it was pressed during the glue-up, I lost it. Next time i might try folding the quadrants before they dry, to give a more consistent curved shape to the peel.

Sorry guys, I can't see this one becoming a comercial venture, too much work involved. But that is what I say about a lot of blanks I make :biggrin:

Cheers

walshjp17

Fruitopia! Gotta think these would be big in FL and CA or other places where citrus is king. Work a deal with the big citrus growers to feature the pens in their gift shops ; >)

MartinPens

Oh my gosh! That is really awesome. I think I would bite as well if they were offered for sale. Sounds like a lot of work to get one together and ready for turning. Congrats on a fantastic pen. I would have saved that one for a Bash entry! : )

Dai Sensei

Looks great! Sounds pretty labour intensive to make though.
Did you cast it after stabilizing or CA finish it, or just stabilized and turned?

Yes very time consuming, hence why i wouldn't be selling them. They are dried, then glued, then stabilized. CA finish.

What if you put them at a bias instead of "crosscut"

Agreed, I think it would be better, I was aiming for a wavey shape with curved peel but it flattened out when i glued it up.

Top Bottom