Orange Infused Banksia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Buzzzz4

Buzzzz4

Picked this beautiful blank up from Boomer. Finished with a few coats of CA and sure shows the fun of banksia. Had a few blow outs that fixed up qute nicely. Comments or critiques welcome. First shots indoors with some bright lights.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• P9260778 (2).jpg
    P9260778 (2).jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 244
  • P9260778.jpg
    P9260778.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 196
  • P9260780.jpg
    P9260780.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 222
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Nicely done. Finish is outstanding. I love the way almost anything looks on those black enamel kits when they are new. I just fear that they won't look as good after 6 months or a year of use. Do you have any of those kits with some wear on them? How do they hold up?

robutacion

Picked this beautiful blank up from Boomer. Finished with a few coats of CA and sure shows the fun of banksia. Had a few blow outs that fixed up qute nicely. Comments or critiques welcome. First shots indoors with some bright lights.

Thanks for looking!

Great shape on that Cigar, different..!

The appearance of that blank is identical to some I'm making at the moment with some of my own grown Banksia pods but all Banksia pods I've seen so far are different than mine, I only seen "bold" large solid hard pods, normally with big holes on them, while mine are "hairy" like a porcupine. In fact, inside this flower type pod, there is a layer of very fine material, like velvet and red in colour.

The reason why I'm describing what I've got (already posted in IAP on my holy messy blob thread...!), is that, looking closely to the nice pen you turned, I swear that I can see some of that red velvety stuff, and as far as I remember, the normal Banksia pods don't have that so, you may be able to tell me what sort of pods the blank was made of...! You would see it as you turned...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Buzzzz4

Nicely done. Finish is outstanding. I love the way almost anything looks on those black enamel kits when they are new. I just fear that they won't look as good after 6 months or a year of use. Do you have any of those kits with some wear on them? How do they hold up?

Thanks James. I haven't tried the black enamels much yet, so no history on them. Maybe someone else can pipe in on this one?

Great shape on that Cigar, different..!

The appearance of that blank is identical to some I'm making at the moment with some of my own grown Banksia pods but all Banksia pods I've seen so far are different than mine, I only seen "bold" large solid hard pods, normally with big holes on them, while mine are "hairy" like a porcupine. In fact, inside this flower type pod, there is a layer of very fine material, like velvet and red in colour.

The reason why I'm describing what I've got (already posted in IAP on my holy messy blob thread...!), is that, looking closely to the nice pen you turned, I swear that I can see some of that red velvety stuff, and as far as I remember, the normal Banksia pods don't have that so, you may be able to tell me what sort of pods the blank was made of...! You would see it as you turned...!:wink:

Cheers
George[/quote]

Thanks! I'm thinking the red was part of the resin, but now that you say it, Im not quite sure. It all turned relatively easy and finished very well. If you have any to share, I'd be glad to try some out if you're looking for others to try your banksia.

That looks really cool! were the blowouts from the resin or the banksia pod? Looks good either way.

Thanks! The blowouts were all resin related. Some spots just didn't stick to the pod as well. Two areas were filled with CA/dust swirl and one was a whole oval that popped out and glued right back in with no troubles.

Thanks all for the kind words. Have a great Monday!

Top Bottom