Orange and Green

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Katsin

Katsin

Here are two pens I recently made:

pen0708.jpg

Sorry for the overexposure. I don't have a great camera, tripod or proper lighting. I also brightened the photo a bit to give you a better idea of how the green pen turned out.

I had trouble with the plastic polish on both of these pens. The plastic polish created some funky white scuffing which looked awful. A real shame too because where the plastic polish had done its work properly on the green pen looked like an absolutely amazing marble instead of the box elder burl that it is. I took it back down and re-did the finish but it only turned out so-so.

I think perhaps I ran the lathe too fast with the plastic polish. Any recommendations on lathe speed with plastic polish?

Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

I can't help with the plastic polish question, but the orange one reminds me of a lava lamp. I had to look twice at the green one when you stated it was box elder...I thought they were both plastic. Both pens are really nice. Thanks for posting.

omb76

Both very nice pens! Sounds like maybe the plastic polish got a little hot when you were buffing them. You may want to slow the lathe down a bit, or try using a little less pressure when applying the polish. I've never used plastic polish on a wood blank, but suppose that with it being stabilized it would work. Did you paint the holes of the acrylic pen? I don't see the brass tube through the blank which is good. Just a suggestion... you may want to try turning the blanks a little slimmer. They tend to look a little better in my opinion on the Gatsby/Sierra's.

Katsin

I want to try painting the holes on acrylic blanks because I had trouble with the last one I tried (light blue) but haven't bought the paint yet. I figured this color would hold up well to brass being underneath which it did pretty well.

Not sure if I've settled on a Gatsby/Sierra thickness I like yet.

Top Bottom