orange diamond wood and ebony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Snazzypens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snazzypens

Hi I made this today. Love you have your feedback.
bye Toni

200611883529_orange%20diamondwood.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Lower end looks underturned at the nib but I cant tell if it's the photo or what. Can you get a better pic?

Snazzypens

No it is underturned. Lathe got mad vibration up again.[:(] Looks like she is going to have to go for a long ride back under warranty. makes you mad
Toni

Skye

Hey, at least it's under warranty. Too bad it puts you down while they fix it though [xx(]

I think there's something odd about the segment. I applaud the effort, but I think I would have rather seen the whole top of the pen ebony rather than just half. Either that or maybe two bands of the ebony just below the centerband to even it out a little bit.

One positive note, I think the shape is dead on.

Here's a better pic for ya:

toni.jpg

Snazzypens

Thanks Skye for fixing the photo yeah the segment was not suppose to be it was a blow outs. Shhh![:I] I was hoping it blended in. Ok perhaps this one is being pulled down.
Toni

Skye

Well, you'll have to take it apart if you want to fix the nib end anyhow, so maybe a little ebony on the lower barrel will be a possibility. But, if you like it, definatly dont let me talk you into possibly killing it!

TBone

Grain on lower half looks really good. Agree it needs something on the bottom to tie in the ebony. Sorry about the lathe, hope it's a quick fix

Getting better on the fit and finish, I agre that the ebony band may look better smaller and on eithe rside of the C.B.
Herres another look at your photo.

Originally posted by Skye
<br />Hey, at least it's under warranty. Too bad it puts you down while they fix it though [xx(]

I think there's something odd about the segment. I applaud the effort, but I think I would have rather seen the whole top of the pen ebony rather than just half. Either that or maybe two bands of the ebony just below the centerband to even it out a little bit.

One positive note, I think the shape is dead on.

Here's a better pic for ya:

toni.jpg

200611823530_toni.jpg

I agree with all on the form and the design, it's looking good!

I will offer an idea for you. I find that the way I orient the blank on the lathe helps me with my turning. I am right handed and use a skew. I orient the nib on these pens at the point on the mandral closest to the head stock(so the pen is pointed towards the head stock). I find that cutting the final nib size-cuts towards the head stock like this are very stable and has the least potential for Vibration because of the pressure of the cut going into the head stock direction as well as the mass stability of the mandrel inserted into the MT.

I used to have problems with this, I also found that once I attached a good light to the head stock I could see better see what I was doing, as well, I also started to use calipers to get confidence in the bushings I was using vs the hardware diameters, sizing my barrel diameter as I made my final cuts to a preset caliper I set off the diameter of the mating hardware.

I also burnish the finished edge of a tunred barrel across a piece of soft leather, that ay if there is a slight off set then the transition is felt as a smoother one under one's finger.

Hope some of that helps[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom