Orange and black Ebonite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Texatdurango

It's been a while since I made a pen so today I decided to make one. This is orange and black hard rubber (Ebonite).

I wanted to see how slender I could go using the multi-start tap and die set. I could have gone thinner on the cap but am not used to Ebonite and didn't know how thin I could go without sacrificing strength. I still may turn the cap smaller to eliminate the shoulder look where it meets the lower body.

Any comments, critiques, suggestions welcome!

Attachments

• orange black ebonite1.jpg
    orange black ebonite1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 281
  • orange black ebonite2.jpg
    orange black ebonite2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 187
  • orange black ebonite3.jpg
    orange black ebonite3.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 262
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

George, that's a great looking pen and Blank, your non kit pens always are top shelf. BTW where did you get the ebonite?

VisExp

Beautiful pen George. I really like the spiral design you put in the finial. Subtle and elegant, it complements the clip nicely. It also reminds me of some catches I've had with my skew :biggrin:

Texatdurango

Beautiful pen George. I really like the spiral design you put in the finial. Subtle and elegant, it complements the clip nicely. It also reminds me of some catches I've had with my skew :biggrin:
I think a lot of them will come out that way based on how the swirls run through the blanks. I think it looks neat. I'm starting to make solid caps now with slots for clips so no more screw on lids! :wink:

Here is a close up of the swirls....

Attachments

• orange black ebonite4.jpg
    orange black ebonite4.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 115

chriselle

Another beauty George. Your pens are always an inspiration. I'm going to have to order some of those clips and get on with learning the invisible design. It's always good to feel like you've got a long way to go. Keep posting these wonderful pens. How about a tutorial?? (inside joke:biggrin:)

bitshird

George that is some good looking material, I have wondered how it would look in the hands of a master, Now I got a pretty good Idea, is that from Pipe makers? very nice pen you do some great work.

Texatdurango

Another beauty George. Your pens are always an inspiration. I'm going to have to order some of those clips and get on with learning the invisible design. It's always good to feel like you've got a long way to go. Keep posting these wonderful pens. How about a tutorial?? (inside joke:biggrin:)
It's really a lot easier than I originally thought, just some threading and slotting.
How about a tutorial?? (inside joke:biggrin:)
We'll swap!:wink:

Here are some close ups that show how the cap is done.

Attachments

• orange black ebonite5.jpg
    orange black ebonite5.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 85
  • orange black ebonite6.jpg
    orange black ebonite6.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 98
  • orange black ebonite7.jpg
    orange black ebonite7.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 102

me2cyclops

for what it's worth I have made a pen with the tap and die set at .485" cap and body in acrylic, I'd not sell it as it IS a bit thin but so far havn't found it to be to thin.

dgscott

Very nice job, George. The threads are nice and crisp, the pen has a wonderful shape. Now it's just a matter of getting the smell out of the shop!
:)
Doug

JohnU

Fantastic all around! The cap looks perfect. I wouldnt change a thing! I really like the ebonite and the kitless style. Im going to have to practice that hidden clip so I can venture towards the expensive blanks. Thanks for showing and helping. I know I would not have gotten the lines to match up like you did. Your High End All The Way!

I think the cap looks pretty good as it is. One thing that helps is the bevel on the edge of the cap, helps with the transition to the body of the pen.

Top Bottom