Optical Illusion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dansills

dansills

The illusion of a segmented blank was what I was going for. All in all, I was happy with how this one turned out .. almost drilled perfect but not quite. Components are actually from a rhodium Majestic Jr but I frankenstein'd a Jr gent non-postable barrel cap. I find the postable majestics to just be way too top heavy. Hope you like it ... C&C welcome and encouraged

6d4dc58c.jpg

033c6b79.jpg

08c6d5e6.jpg

c80ff6d3.jpg

1bc9e492.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
The pen and that material are beautiful.

The only negative and question is whats up just to the right of the centerband in the close up picture? It looks like cracking in the white? I wouldn't have noticed anything in the other pictures - only the closeup you chose to post??

OKLAHOMAN

Very nice looking, I agree with Dean, it looks like some shattering but could be just the photo. The blank looks like Legionnaire from CSUSA.

dansills

The only negative and question is whats up just to the right of the centerband in the close up picture? It looks like cracking in the white? I wouldn't have noticed anything in the other pictures - only the closeup you chose to post??

:eek: you made me run and check the pen... Just something odd in the photo thank goodness. Now I'm puzzled ... Didn't photoshop it or enhance anyway. :confused:

GoatRider

:eek: you made me run and check the pen... Just something odd in the photo thank goodness. Now I'm puzzled ... Didn't photoshop it or enhance anyway. :confused:
It looks to me like a reflection, probably of the camera.

Beautiful pen! I live the looks of your blank choice and kit. As for the thing that looks like a crack, it very well may be. You can find all kinds of flaws (not saying with this pen but in general) with pictures like that, that you can not see with the naked eye.

dansills

Beautiful pen! I live the looks of your blank choice and kit. As for the thing that looks like a crack, it very well may be. You can find all kinds of flaws (not saying with this pen but in general) with pictures like that, that you can not see with the naked eye.

I should have posted but it's not visible with loop either ... Definitely some kinda weird reflection or blurr maybe?

alphageek

Former Moderator

I should have posted but it's not visible with loop either ... Definitely some kinda weird reflection or blurr maybe?

Must be a reflection! Sorry for the panic - it is a great pen and I'm glad it was just something in the photo! Its really weird how it looks like cracks, but there is some other "coloration" around it too, so who knows what its reflecting.

Fred

Excellent photographs of the details of your craftsmanship. :biggrin:

I believe the '"flaw" that folks are seeing is actually a streak of discoloration in the wood itself. Mother Nature makes streaks all the time just to keep us on our toes.

Depending on the finish you have used you possibly have enhanced such a streak such that it is now noticeable to our eyes. And, once someone else points it out it seems to be quite obvious and you will "see" it everytime you look at the pen!

Personally I like the pen with one exception ... to me the light blue background almost gives it a metallic look.

dansills

Nice looking pen! What's the material?

As for the spot, any chance you used a flash? It could be a reflection of sanding marks on the brass tube.

AK

No flash but photo was taken outside in natural light .. Well natural overcast I should say. I'm going to take some more in brighter conditions and compare the two. Almost positive it was some kind of weird reflection.

The blank is one I have had for a while .. Legionnaire blank from CSUSA. Like I said it was a challenge to get the stripes to show like they did. Well at least for me it was a challenge!

Last edited:
Top Bottom