Opinoin, on some new Resins..& Casting PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

btboone

Anthony, another possibility might be a mold made from a tube of paper or cardboard. It could just be turned off when turning the pen back down to size.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gregory Huey

Anthony
Well you have pushed me into trying to make a resin pen or two. Off to the craft store I went and found the clear resin & catlyst. OK here comes the questions, what can be used to dye the clear. Also would pvc type conduit work as a mold. Have some 3/4' left over from adding new outlets to the shop. Thanks for your advice in advance.

PenWorks

Okay, if any or you guys our members of Yahoo penturners, go to their files and find the one from Jay Pickens, that has all the info on how I made my resins.

Greg Scratch the tube molds! I used a poly casting mold that was 2x3x1 1/8 Got it from
www.misterart.com type in 4292869 in the search window and it will bring you to the little molds. After I poped them out of the mold, just cut them on the band saw.

Next go to www.artstuf.com what a great site, I spent two days looking and buying! The luster powder is what you want to buy, that is the real nice pearl stuff, all sorts of colors, I bought some concentrated poly resin dyes as well. I got my clear cast there too, a gallon for 25.00
Use a mixture of 7 drops catalyst for 1 OZ resin casting.

Read that article, and if you have questions, email me. Ware a gas mask! Anthony

btboone

Anthony, is that polyester resin? (the stuff used for fiberglass?) Home Depot and auto parts stores should have some if that's the case.

PenWorks

Bruce, yes, clear polyester resin, I think they have a gallon for 25.00 on throw in the catlyst. Can you get to artstuf.com It is only 1 "f" I can not access from home. Don't know why, I am getting a redirect.

Anthony

Gregory Huey

Anthony
Thanks for the heads up already been to jays site and seen how he dose the block mold. I was thinging of the tube type mold for snake skin or other material wraped around the brass. Or will the brass stay where you put in the sheet mold (like the center)

btboone

I saw artstuf, but the site is a bit confusing as to what they actually sell. It may have been a redirect to places that sell any kind of craft stuff under the sun. I found the file from Jay at the other forum, but my computer's not opening the .pdf. I need to remember how to associate extensions to be opened by certain programs. I must have .pdf's trying to open from the wrong program.

I used to get clear polyester resins gallons from Home Depot. They sold it under the Bondo brand name. What is the pearlizing stuff? Is that glass beads or something?

PenWorks

If I cannot get to their site tomarrow, I am going to call them. The pearl dyes are called luster pigments, they are powder dyes which give the nice pearl effect.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />the Pink and purple shold do well in Fire Island, San Francisco,Key west,Uhhhh not very well versed on the subject.
( walking away whistling quietly with hands in pockets looking innocent)

Somehow Eagle, I just can't picture you looking innocent! LOL

cjthomas

I found my purple pen blank at my local Woodcraft store. It was also called Purple Passion. This is an amazingly close match to the coloring that I found.

btboone

Anthony, for your blanks, did you just use the luster pigments as they came in some clear casting resin, or did you add the pearl white or other dyes as well?

vick

Posted - Jan 10 2005 : 10:24:58 PM US Eastern Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Douglas and Sturgess site, www.artstuf.com, is back on line!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fred in NC
My life is taking a new turn!

You have a comma in the link posted if you google artstuf it comes up as the first link.

btboone

I ordered my stuff from them last night. The shopping cart's a little scary; I don't think it's secure, and there was no confirmation e-mail like most places will send. I hope they (and only they) got it.

PenWorks

Bruce, I agree, no confirmation, but my stuff arrived in a week. I am faxing my next order because I am not comfortable with the secure thing. Anthony

elody21

Just found the pic of your pens. Very beautiful and as a woman I can say I love the pink and purple! The bronze is perfect for an executives pen. very distinguished! Where did you get the pink? I was hunting for a bright pink for a Christmas present for my niece. I never did find any.

PenWorks

Alice, I just started to cast my own resins. That was a combo of white pearl & red dye. I bought all the stuff from www.artstuf.com

I am going to try and cast some Avonite next week. We'll see how it comes out.

Anthony

Fred in NC

Bruce, around here scratch is coarsely ground corn. Bad enough that we make corn cob pens, now you are insinuating that some of use use the CORN ! Or was it the CORN SYRUP that was used as a resin?

elody21

I just did my first cast resin blank this morning and the smell is so bad!!!!!!!! I took care with a vapor mask and exaust ventalation and 2 carbon filters going. Seeing your blanks gives me hope that it might be all worth it. I bought some additive that was supposed to jell the mixture in 1-2 min so anything could be suspended in the compound. It did not work very well. I was wondering if it is the temp in my basement. I know things like corian glue and 2 part epoxy cure better in warmer surroundings.
Are you planning on useing Avonite adhesive to " cast Avonite?" I am intrigued !
Do you use the casting resin or casting epoxy? I believe the casting exopy is the one with 2 equal parts and is supposed to be low odor. I might go and get it and save the other for summer!
The one that I did today is black and black pearl with oyster and abolone shell.

elody21

Maybe you mean cast Avonite in Resin? Yes it will work I have done something very similar with chunks of Avonite and a 2 part pour on finish. I just happened to have it on hand.

PenWorks

Mine took about 20 minutes to gell, and then I let it set up overnight. I now about the smell, I haven't been able to cast any more, because I want to do it outside. Hopefully next week it will back in the 70's. I used the clear casting resin.

The Avonite, looked like polyester resin (PR) with rocks and quartz in it. So that is what I'm going to try and do. Use PR and I have some quartz & crystals to imbed in the mold. But I guess I will wait to it gells before I can imbed the rocks, because everthing floats around in that stuff.

Anthony

PenWorks

Here is a picture of some of the molds from misterart I got, the link is below
www.misterart.com/store/view/001/group_id/540/ENVIRONMENTAL-TECH-Resin-Molds.htm

You can cut them length wise or across. On the 4 oz mold I can get 4 blanks. You can cast the thickness from 1/2 to 1"

There is a cross cut photo of the blanks, the color is real solid as I put in allot of luster powder with the dyes.

As stated above, all the casting material exept for the molds were from www.artstuf.com

200511719816_DSC01215.jpg

PenWorks

Jake, read my last post on this link, these instructions by Jay are the tell all.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3252

Anthony

KKingery

Well, I poured batch # 2 today, using the tips from Anthony. Just from the initial looks of things, it sure looks better than my first batch yesterday! Kind a reminds me of bein in grade school art class.......a long, long, long....time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom