Opinoin, on some new Resins..& Casting PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

Here are some new resins I cut, would greatly appreciate your commments on them. Good, bad & indiferent...........[:p] Thanks, Anthony

Purple Passion Pearl, Pretty Pink Pearl, Black Bronze

2005181687_DSC01123.jpg

Fred in NC

Anthony, the Black Bronze would be my favorite. Now, really, Anthony, do you think I would carry a pink or purple pen in my pocket? (No bias here, just a matter of identity!) Actually, it looks richer, more elegant, and probably higher priced.

It is a matter of what the buyer likes. They are all very nice.

dougle40

Anthony,
The only thing I can say is WOW !!!
The Black Bronze makes a great "Mans" pen and I think most of the "Ladies" would go GAGA over the Pretty Pink and the Purple Passion especially in the smaller pen in the middle (I don't know what pen kit that is), they have to be 2 of the most beautiful colors that I've seen .

PenWorks

Thanks, so far so good, the girly looking colors are for just that. about 40% of my clientel are women, so I do not discriminate about the selection I offer them.

So Fred that shade of pink is not your cup of tee. LOL

Anthony

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
<b>AHHH COME ON FRED</b>... I think that pink pen would look just stunning with a good old flannel shirt... LOL.. not even to mention how it would set off your eyes after a night of good old Kentucky Bourbon... LOL.. BTW Fred did you get my email that I sent through the group to you
Anthony, those pens are real neat... where did you get the acrylics.. a lot of my customers are women also and those would be great colors... do they also have a real nice red in that effect... I am getting orders from the Red Hat group.. so I also need a good red and a good purple (something darker than the one shown).. The black bronze looks like a really rich color combo..

woodpens

I have been thinking that I need something that would appeal more to women. I think you have found it! Very nice job, Anthony. I was talking with my wife yesterday about coming up with a new name for the Junior Gentleman pens. People just don't tend to buy something with a name like that for a woman. Any suggestions?

Tom McMillan

Yup, Fred said it!! Pretty distinct---I like the top darker one myself---but, sure do see the others as "great" pens for the ladies!!!! Nice work Anthony as always!!!

woodpens

Anthony,
That picture you just uploaded showing the black bronze pen next to the bottle on top of writing paper is awesome! You need to be teaching us photography. [:)] I REALLY need to get that good.

woodpens

Fred,
That sounds like a good suggestion to me (The Madonna), but given my wife's distaste for Madonna, I doubt we will end up using that one. [;)] You got me thinking though. That is definitely the right direction. "Lady Patricia" is another good name, but that one is alrady taken. [:)]

G

I haven't had any luck with plastic pens,but I still like the looks of them myself.
I guess it is because there are too many mass produced pens out there.
Any store I go in carries plastic pens.Even stores like Staples an Office Depot around here carry them and display them behind a locked display case
I love the black bronze one also.I imagine it goes back to what sells in a given area based on what people want and are willing to pay.

PenWorks

Jim, I don't have any Gent Jr's in resin, most are all "Lady Exec's" Thanks for the compliments on the photo, It is very tiime consuming as well. But worth it sometimes taking the time throwing in the props, flash sells.

I thought Madona was a good Catholic girl ? LOL

Your right Eagle, It's whatever sells in your area. & most fine pen companies make resins.

I'll tell youw where I bought the resins later.

Anthony

WoodChucker

Anthony, all three look great, and I agree with the others that there should be a good market for the pink and purple with the Lady's. That top one is my favorite, but there all beautiful, nice work!

R.T.

C_Ludwigsen

Considering we are about a month away from Valentine's day, you picked a perfect time to add these to your offering. I think after Mother's day, they may fade out till this time next year.

G

the Pink and purple shold do well in Fire Island, San Francisco,Key west,Uhhhh not very well versed on the subject.
( walking away whistling quietly with hands in pockets looking innocent)

cjthomas

Anthony,

I did a Satin Ni European at Thanksgiving with the Purple Passion. It was what my wife picked out for her pen. So I would say that it appeals to women. I love the way that it finishes. It's almost as though you can't ever see the bottom.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Fantastic craftsmanship Anthony, the pens look great. Betting the ladies will love them.

Instead of junior gent...how about junior lady...or is that taken already..?

JohnPayton

Gary Max

I think you done a great job Anthony. I bet the pink one is the first to sell. Margie (wife) picked it out as the best of the bunch--and she aint ever wrong.

wayneis

Anthony are those blanks some of the Inlace Pen Blanks from Craft Supply? They look really good no matter where you got them.

Eagle get your hand out of your pockets, didn't your momn tell you that you would go blind walking around like that :~)

Wayne

PenWorks

This has gotten a little out of hand [:D] I don't know who is jiving who anymore [^]

The polyester resin blanks are from the Cave Creek Casting Co. I cast them this week in my shop. [:p]

After throwing away about 10 rattle snake skin blanks I was trying to cast in clear resin, I turned my attention to something a little easier and mixed my own resin blanks. I was reaaly happy with the way they came out, I put in another order for more colors & dyes.

Thanks for the responses. Anthony

Fred in NC

Good going, Anthony! Now I understand why you were asking opinions on these blanks. Your own brand of pen blanks !!!!
Are you going to call them "4C" by any chance ?

By the way, are you using the vertical copper molds for these ?
I hope to be experimenting a little as soon as I get a chance.
For right now, I have to make a few more pens that will be needed in about 2 weeks. The Arts Council people are having an exhibit of <b>local artists</b>, but they want some of <b>my stuff </b>too... [8D]

PenWorks

Fred, I don't even want to go there about my other experiment. Two of the copper molds are in the trash, next to the bad blanks. I tried another method and the casting came out good, I had them all turned looking good and when I was doing the wet sanding, the mud got between the clear resin and the skin. Just enogh to dirty it. Now how can that happen? So my next go around before I sand, I will seal the rims and not use so much water when sanding to keep the mud down. It wss almost a really nice snake pen.

I was going to cast some more resins, but I have to wait for some good weather. Has been a touch cool and rainy. I casted a couple of days in the shop which is down stairs in the garage. But my two sons happen to live down stairs as well and the fumes are a little to much and they got all pissy. We all have gas masks for when the BIG ONE comes, and I told them to put em on! It would be a good practice drill! Well that didn't go over to big.

Anthony

PenWorks

Why try and figure it out Bruce? What's her name and e mail so I can sell it to her [:D] Sent you an e mail on the casting. Anthony

btboone

That would be Trish. When I first made acrylester inlays for my rings, she had to have a purple pearl inlay. She gets comments from complete strangers on it all the time.

I appreciate you sending instructions. Hmm... I wonder what the possibilities are of having a pen made out of aluminum or titanium or even corian and doing inlays in it with a contrasting color with the pourable resin? I imagine it would be easy to sand back to flush on a tougher base material. It probably runs like syrup though, so might be limited to one side of the pen only.

WoodChucker

Anthony, I didn't even give it a thought that you might have made them yourself. I'm very impressed to say the least, nice work!

Boy, if you could start making your own pen kits, just think of the business you would do, of course you wouldn't have time for turning pens anymore, but heck you could look at ours anytime.[:D]

When will we see these for sale? Or is it too much trouble? Anyway, thanks for sharing and hope you do some more!

R.T.

btboone

Another thought of what's possible with casting your own; you could turn a pen from wood, leaving it about .015" oversize. Carve out a cool pattern with a laser, drills, Dremel, or by hand into the wood. Cast the acrylic around the whole pen and turn it to size. If it works correctly, only the carved out areas will have acrylic left in them. It should produce some dramatic results.

Vern

Anthony, you're starting to **** me off [:D] Just what I need... another "project" to further clutter my already bombed out shop.

Seriously though, those are some nice looking castings! You anywhere close to having the article done so we can all start chasing the kids off with toxic fumes?

Vern

btboone

Anthony, I just did an experiment with the process I described above. Since I don't yet have the good resin, I tried with CA and some dye. Even though the experiment was crude, I was pleased with the results. This means that the concept should work well with the good resins. I didn't make this part oversized to begin with, I just used a piece I had worked on earlier and returned it to the same diameter, so the discoloration in the wood should go away when I turn it .015" smaller than the original.

20051922530_puzzletry1.jpg

PenWorks

KIrk, I got the blanks from downstairs in my shop [:D]

RT. Not for sale. I can see how they could be to inconsistant to make and sell. I put all the right ingrediants in, but had no clue what they would look like. Plus they didn't look like anything until I cut them, and to stinky to do all the time. But, I don't think I will be buying any resins for some time [:D]

Sorry Vern, whats another project anyway, I'm still about 25 projects behind schedule.

Bruce, great idea, my problem has been putting my finished barrel or blank and casting it in the resin. None of my molds seem to work out right. I would think on Jim's inlay pens, you could spread the resin in on one side and do the other side the next day.

Definately having that laser engraver, you could come up with some real wild ideas and patterns.

Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom