Opinions Needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jeepstyx

jeepstyx

I've only been making pens for about 1-2 months. Mainly working with slim lines as they are cheap (like me). This is one that I just finished, and comments are welcome. No fancy finish, just MM and a high friction polish. Couldn't really decide weather to keep the center band or not.

1_IMG_6087.jpg

1_IMG_6085.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
You sure you really want my opinion....okay, here goes. The center band is better left out on that pen, the body of the pen is a bit thicker than I prefer, and you need to learn how to apply a better finish if you want a pen that nice to hold up. You are well on your way to making some excellent pens. Stick with the cheap stuff until you are more comfortable moving up and have fun...that is what it is supposed to be about anyways. One final thought...welcome to the group, your addiction will only grow from here.

markgum

First Welcome to the group..
I agree; leave the center band out for that pen. I to believe it is a bit to thick. But trust me; I made plenty of THICK pens before I got brave enought to thin them down. It does look to be smooth and that is a big step right there. Keep up the work; have fun.

jeepstyx

Wow you guys are fast. Thanks for the welcomes and quick replys. I will be the first to admit that I need to learn how to finish them. I have laquer dipped a few and like the results of those and will probably go that route until I get the CA finish down.

I prefer a thicker pen, which is why I went the way I did with this one.

Thank you again, I really appreciate the honest opinions.

CaptG

You are off to a good start. Do not be afraid to try the unusual, that is how you will learn. I agree with leaving off the centerband. Work on the ca finish, when you get it down, you will not go back to friction polish.

MobilMan

Just the opposite of my first few pens. Kept being skinney little runts. Seemed like anything else was too fat til one day I noticed my blank had a gold hole in it. You're off to a good start. Looks like you did a decent job sanding & an ok finish. When you get down to the size you like that's comfortable in your hand, use a mic. or open end wrench as a pattern. One thing you'll notice about IAP, they will answer you're questions honestly. But that's what you want. Honest opinions. This is a great bunch here.

marcruby

Leave the centerband out. I'd play with the design a bit more before going thinner, maybe bring the barrel out flush with the cap. Of course, I hate slimlines, so I'm no judge.

ldb2000

Nice looking pen Tim . Definitely No center band on it . There's nothing wrong with a thicker slimline , the only change I would make is to make the transition between the barrels a little smoother , don't turn down the upper part of the lower barrel quite so much . Like several people have said , Learn to use a better finish like CA or Lacquer or Poly , as nice as they look they just wont hold up well or for very long . If your going to put the work in to them you want them to last .

jeffj13

I have laquer dipped a few and like the results of those and will probably go that route until I get the CA finish down.

I prefer a thicker pen, which is why I went the way I did with this one.

Thank you again, I really appreciate the honest opinions.

Welcome.

As one whose finish of preference is lacquer, I would encourage you to continue on that path. Keep in mind that going from lacquer to CA is not a step up, but a step sideways (IMHO). Both produce a fine finish and there are pros and cons to both.

I spray my lacquer and would encourage you to try that method as well. You can buy an inexpensive airbrush at HF. When it is on sale it only cost around $5.

Until you are ready to give away or sell your pens, your preference is all that matters. If you like them thick, make them thick.

jeff

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Like the others, I prefer it without the center band. I'd also prefer it a little thinner, but again, these are a matter of preference. Slimlines aren't meant to be thicker, so you might try a different kit. (cigar, perhaps?)

You might also try experimenting with cutting the wood at a bit of an angle to give you some interesting character.

You're off to a great start..:biggrin:

jeepstyx

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I have decided to disassemble and finish it off a bit better, so I will add new pictures once I finish it properly.

I have thought about using a larger kit such as the cigar, however money is tight and I have about 40 slim line kits that I got for a great price, so I figure I'll just mow through them.

Thank you again for the opinions, they are much appreciated.

bruce119

Tim

Looks good for getting started. Like others W/O center band. That's what is great with slimlines. The most versatile kit out there and the cheapest also. Your well on your way. Be sure to keep your first one you'll be glad you did a year from now.

Perhaps we'll meet at Woodcraft sometime. I'm only a few miles up the road from you.

Bruce

randyrls

You are off to a good start! You can eliminate the centerband and butt the cap end against the lower blank. Drill a small recess in the upper blank to fit into the lower blank end.

The slimline is one of the most flexible pens made. You can lengthen the cap blank because The brass tube in the cap doesn't have to go all the way to nib side of the blank.

Practice the CA finish until you get it down. Wax your bushings and mandrel before starting. Turn a pen blank until it is just round and much larger than finished size. Sand and finish with CA. Note how good or bad the finish is. Turn the smallest amount possible off the pen and vary your technique. When the pen is down to the finished size, put whatever finish you are comfortable with on the pen. Start another pen. When you get a good consistent CA finish ten times in a row, throw out the friction polish.

As I posted somewhere recently, my personal carry is a Bethlehem Olive Wood Baron 3-4 years old that has a CA finish and still looks good!

I normally finish wood pens with a satin finish by hitting the CA finish with some 0000 steel wool. This makes a nice durable satin finish and looks better on wood pens, On the other hand my car keychain has a shiny finish and is 6 years old. It is chipped and scratched, but still shines like new.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome, Tim. You did a great job on that, smooth work, and I think the size is fine - especially if you leave off the kit centerband. There are a few "out there" who actually like a "fat" SL pen. Can't wait to see what you do in a few more months!

jeepstyx

I have laquered the pen. It's not spectacular, but at least it will hold it's color. I only do this for fun, I don't sell them or anything. I'm sure that as time goes on I will get better at it.

Attachments

• IMG_6093.jpg
    IMG_6093.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 83

bitshird

Loose the center band, well actually just find a place to put it but not on the pen, If you work at it, you can make a slimline into a Euro Designer, you almost did! It's a wee bit chunky for my taste, and I like large pens, my daily driver is a Churchill FP. I'd say your off to a great start, slimlines are a lot of fun and you can do great things with them, nearly total design freedom, and if you like it that's all that matters until you start selling them or giving them as gifts.

nava1uni

I like your pen. The slimline is a very versatile kit. I like it can be used to create a myriad of designs. I make them wider and create my own center bands from a variety of material.

Top Bottom