Opinion of a new Resin Pen Please...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

Status
Not open for further replies.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I have been playing around with casting resins with my cactus pens and decided to try a straight resin blank. Here is the results of something I came up with. In person it looks AWESOME but the pics don't do it much justice. It is gold with a LOT of depth and glimmer. What do you think? I have never bought and turned any plastic blanks. Is there anything available out there that looks like this? If not, I might be able to have my arm twisted to show how it was made! EXTREMELY easy!

Anyway, here is the pen...

GoldDust.jpg

And here is a close up
GoldDustCloseup.jpg

Ron Mc

The resin looks fantastic! Am I right to assume that you will be bringing one to SWAT to show? I would love to see this in person.
You know what....I would also recommend that you supply each teacher of the pen turning classes with a blank![:D]

Kaspar

Is there anything available out there that looks like this?

There was but they don't make it anymore. I still have a few of them left. They make a pen like this. The silver version of that stuff looked like this, which is what I suspect a silver version of your stuff would look like. I have a few left of that stuff, as well.

I'm not set up for casting either, and don't really want to get in to that yet. But I'd purchase a blank from you as well. Just to see it in person.

emackrell

Curtis, if the pictures really "don't do it much justice," then I sure hope you are planning on making a LOT of it, and selling it here, becuase the pictures are drop-dead gorgeous and I think there will be lots of us who would love to try it out. That really looks great!

cheers Eileen [8D]

gerryr

I've looked at this several times trying to come up with what it might be. First I think the resin is epoxy since that what Curtis used on the cactus blanks. The color looks like Testor's gold pigment. That's a pretty wild guess, but it's the only thing I have ever seen that looks like that.

redfishsc

If you want tough, you won't get any tougher than West System #105 Epoxy with slow hardener.

But c'mon... you're killing us (and likely enjoying it, aren't you?)!

Whattizzit?

chigdon

I love the look and am extremely curious to hear how you made it. I don't want to get into PR for the same reasons mentioned. I would also be interested in purchasing of you decide to manufacture them [:D].

redfishsc

I don't know how it could be plexiglass, it would take way too long for it to solidify for the pigments to stay curly and burly.

Personally I'm gonna guess it's that two-part bar-top epoxy resin. That stuff sets quick enough to hold the pigments in place.

I'd still encourage ya to check out west-system's #105 Epoxy. Yes, it's like $80 a gallon, but it's the most unbelievable stuff I've ever seen in my life. Hard and slick as glass. I have a small "hockey puck" I made with it with some gold pearl-ex pigment I'm going to turn into a desk slimline pen holder out of. Can't wait to see how it machines.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
It is definately not plexiglass or ANY kind of epoxy. The resin is Allumilite Clear, which is a urethane casting resin. It sets in 8 minutes or so.

West Systems epoxy is great as an expoxy but is not that great for turning. It is much more brittle once cured than Alumilite. As for hardness, both are about the same. West has a Shore D hardness of 82 while Alumilite is 80. Epoxies are not intended to be used in thick castings like Alumilite or PR. They are mainly made for laying up and thin applications. They easily overheat while curing.

I experimented with a buch of different epoxies, including West System with 105 as well as System Three with all of their different hardeners when I was perfecting the cactus pen process. Epoxies were ok if pressure cast but tended to shatter while turning unless you were VERY careful.

As for the colorant, I beleive I will keep that confidential for the time being. I may want to make some of them to sell and don't want someone beating me to the punch just yet! For anyone who wants to try it for their own use, send me a PM and I will share with you. I just don't want to post it on a public forum.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Compared to what? PR, yes, good quality epoxy, no. It works out to $80 per gallon if you buy the gallon kit which is 1 gallon of A and 1 gallon of B. I am happy to pay more for a product that has A LOT LESS health risks than PR, does not stink up my shop, and one that is more consistent in the results wether I cast one ounce or 15. I don't need to guess on the number of drops to add and don't have to do it all while wearing full protective gear!

I can also pull it out of the pressure pot in 15 minutes, completely set and if I drop a large casting on the floor, I don't have to worry about it cracking or breaking. Add to that a product that turns wonderfully and is very hard and you have a winner in my book that is worth the extra money!

redfishsc

$80 for two gallons, while still a lot of money, is only a bit more expensive than PR unless y'all know of something I don't.

Mesquite Man, good job experimenting. Did the West System 105 vary in it's properties depending on the hardener used?

Thumbs

Wait a minute! You said $80 a gallon, does that mean $80 for a gallon of part A and $80 for a gallon of part B? Whew! You'd have to spend $160 to start.

Or $80 for a half gallon of each to make up a gallon of mixed product? Does it come in smaller quantities, meaning the half gallon container? Or does it only come in gallon or larger quantities?

Seems awfully expensive to me, but it's been years since I've used any resin. I may be in for sticker shock in any case.

Phooey! Lets go back to twisting his arm![}:)]

bonefish

How many blanks can you get from a gallon?

If you can get 20, and I would guess a lot more, that is only about $4.00 each, about the cost as buying the store bought stuff.

To me, $4.00 for an attractive and durable blank is a bargain.

Bonefish

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Though I care not to turn cast acrylic blanks I do like to see them.
This one is extremely nice looking with almost a "natural or organic" appearance or organic almost like a burl.
Whatever it is, it looks great.
icon_thumbs.gif

its_virgil

I purchase polyester resin for $28 per gallon plus shipping. It is somewhere around $35 per gallon on my doorstep in 4-5 days. I have good results with PR...love the way it turns. But, to each his own. We use what we like and are happy with. I'm turning one of Curtis's cactus blanks today and I'm excited.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

PS: Curtis: are you coming to SWAT? I have something for you. Should I mail it or bring it wiht me next Friday? I hope it hasn't slithered off? Also, I really like your new resin color. It looks rich and elegant and exquisite. Nice job on the casting.

Originally posted by redfishsc
<br />$80 for two gallons, while still a lot of money, is only a bit more expensive than PR unless y'all know of something I don't.

Mesquite Man, good job experimenting. Did the West System 105 vary in it's properties depending on the hardener used?

Dario

Originally posted by Thumbs
<br />Wait a minute! You said $80 a gallon, does that mean $80 for a gallon of part A and $80 for a gallon of part B? Whew! You'd have to spend $160 to start.

Or $80 for a half gallon of each to make up a gallon of mixed product? Does it come in smaller quantities, meaning the half gallon container? Or does it only come in gallon or larger quantities?

Seems awfully expensive to me, but it's been years since I've used any resin. I may be in for sticker shock in any case.

Phooey! Lets go back to twisting his arm![}:)]

Not sure but after checking around I was qouted $79.00/gal for the resin and $35.00/Qt for the hardener. Pump kit is $20.00. This is a local supplier so I have to pay taxes but no shipping.

I was told that all you need is a Qt of hardener for a gallon of resin.

One thing that concerns me is their label that <b>this product is NOT for clear coating/casting</b> (unless I am missing something). It is apparently yellowish in color which is okay on some applications but not on others.

Hope this helps.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Dario,

You are missing something. ALL Alumilite resins are a 1:1 mix so whatever you got a quote on was either bad information or not Alumilite. Also, there are a number of different formulations of Alumilite. There is original which is yellowish and not even transluscent, they have white, black, and clear. The clear is what I am using. It is truely clear, even more so than PR. Unfortunately, it is the most expensive.

Here is a link to the company website: http://alumilite.com/checkout/index.php?cPath=22for more information. I buy direct from them and have been VERY pleased with their service and product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom