Opinion on this--kangaroo hide pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Snazzypens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snazzypens

Hi I am trying to work out this. I can't say I like it but my kids love it what are your thoughts on this pen. The hide is roo skin
Please be honest even if it throw it in the bin. WHat your opinion please. THis is a WIP do you think this could be improved or not?
bye Toni

20077810424_roo%20skin%20bullet%20pen%20jpg.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

smoky10

Tony, you said to be honest, well, I don't like it.I don't like the skin on it. When I first saw it I thought of the palace guards in London[}:)]. Hope that wasn't too honest. Tom

Snazzypens

no that what I want exactly I told my kids I want to throw it in the bin but they like it so I am sticking it out to see what the general consensus on this is. So be honest. It might a good candidate for next ugly pen contest
Toni

neon007

OK here is my opinion. I like it. Well let me be more clear. I like the clip and rifle shell But the roo hide well its a bit distracting. I think if you glued the hide to the tube and then cast it in clear resin It would make all the difference in the world. I really appreciate the work you put in to it though. Great pen for a hunter.

What kit did you used to fit the rifle shell in. What type of rifle shell is that.

Rifleman1776

I think it is disgustingly ugly. On the other hand, if you are doing a show, it would be a great 'stopper'. People would look at it and comment. Then they would/could look at other pens and you could talk to them. I would call it a 'demo' pen that illustrates what is possible with imagination. Still big on the ughs though. [xx(][:p]

soundman

erm... ah....um....its art right?

durability would be a question.

beauty is in the eye of the deholder.... some great hairy roo shooter would think its great.... or one of his mates or relatives would buy it for him as a joke.
I certain you will sell it.

I recon roo hide dehaired would have to be viable in some form.

Hmm casting hide and hair in resin might be a worthwhile chalenge.

AHHH a pen like a stock whip with a plated turks head on the end... how that..... you can have that one.
I expect you to have that one sorted when I come up in august.[:D]

cheers

winpooh498

I think it is interesting to say the least. Maybe if it were cast in resin? I'm not a fan of the shell casing pens, but that is just my opinion.
I like how you are able to "think outside the box", we all need to be able to to that sometimes who knows what we could come up with!

Dawn

Rmartin

Laughing out loud! I just spit coffee all over my computer!

I absolutely LOVE it. I don't know what the cost is, but you should make a dozen and I bet they would sell in a minute.

If it were me, I'd tie a string to it and hang it from my rear view mirror of my car. That pen was born to be a world traveller. Or even better, you could sent it to me and I'd take a picture of it in front of my towns most famous landmark. Then I would send it to the next member on the list. And so on and so on, until this pen had become the most travelled pen in the world.

Or maybe not, LOL

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I'm not a fan of casing pens, but I'd add a lovely roo skin pen to my collection in a minute. Roo skin and brown mallee burl sounds magnificent.

richstick1

Well, here is my opinion from the northern climate area of Wisconsin in the USA. It gets cold here in the winter. Darn cold. 30 below (Fahrenheit) is not uncommon. This pen, well, it would NEVER get cold here [:D]

I don't care for the rifle clip - I think they look cheesy.

snowman56

It's a bit hairy for me, but I think you have a good idea. Maybe casting it in resin would work???? I personally like the casing and rifle clip. Sell lots of them here.

doberman

I say it's a real convesation piece!! Can I pay you to make me one - no kidding!!

Ron,
You had to know someone is going to take you seriously, right? Well I am one of them and i think that is a great idea!! I am in and if you sent it to me I would take a photo here in Michigan. She needs to send it overseas to the USA and back over etc. to maximize and log travel distances.
Glenn

Originally posted by Rmartin
<br />Laughing out loud! I just spit coffee all over my computer!

I absolutely LOVE it. I don't know what the cost is, but you should make a dozen and I bet they would sell in a minute.

If it were me, I'd tie a string to it and hang it from my rear view mirror of my car. That pen was born to be a world traveller. Or even better, you could sent it to me and I'd take a picture of it in front of my towns most famous landmark. Then I would send it to the next member on the list. And so on and so on, until this pen had become the most travelled pen in the world.

Or maybe not, LOL

GaryMGg

Originally posted by oobak
<br />Ron,
You had to know someone is going to take you seriously, right?...

What a hoot. I'm in!

As to the pen itself -- with a title of roo hide, I expected something like a skinless hide similar to snowman56's gator bone and hide pen.

The hairy beast isn't to my taste, but surely someone will love it.

Gary

broitblat

I'm afraid I don't have much unique to add.

I think I like the idea, but looking at it, the extreme fuzziness of the skin is too much at odds with the hard lines of the casing. Perhaps if both barrels were 'roo?

In any case, thanks for sharing.

-Barry

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I like it. Shows thinking outside the box, sorta like this one I posted last year
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=17074&SearchTerms=pen
It's a good attention getter at shows.

txbatons

That is very funny. I don't laugh out loud at posts very often, but I did this time. I like the hair on the pen just because it's a hoot and because it pushes the envelope creatively. However, I'm not a huge fan of the shell casing pens.

I keep thinking of some guy with that in his shirt pocket and folks staring at it thinking it's a gerbil or some other rodent.

So I guess my vote is a no. Sorry.

workinforwood

reminds me of that funny pen with the great story..something about using the softest part of a muskrat hyde and a customized bic tube. I don't like it, but cast in resin and turned extra large, like El Grande style might work.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Workingforwood

This is the link you were looking for! I am glad someone remembered it!

www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23869

The ROO pen has a certain amount of class to it, and I like it! I think with some Aquanet hairspray, it could have some distinct styling opportunities. Of course you could always make a pen box lined with the roo fur....some interesting design opportunities here.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom