Opinion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GBusardo

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBusardo

I was not really sure where to put this, because I am not really showing it off lol I would like the opinion on the wood. It's crosscut European Beech. I have enough wood for about 20 blanks, but not sure if its worth the effort. My wife says she likes it, but.... The pen itself is slightly lighter than the picture.
Thanks
Gary

2006710182048_beech.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

It's an interesting pattern, and different from most of what we see here (at least anything that comes immediately to mind). So, from the perspective of it being unique, I like it. However, my personal opinion is that it just doesn't do much for me. It looks like a plain wood that's been cracked. JMHO

GBusardo

I wondered that too. I don't know how to express how the board looks, but when i cut a few more blanks, they will look more crosscut. The only way i can describe it, its that if it were pine, the board would cup like the dickens. [:)]

Gary Max

You will find that differnt folks like different things.
There are folks out there who really like the lighter colored woods.
I would say it's well worth the time---it shows grain nicely which is always a plus.
As a matter of fact you could send me a couple of blanks--Hehehe[:D]

Rifleman1776

Sorry, no thumbs up from me. [:(] I don't care for the wasp-waist and the treatment at the end is sorta, ah...phallic-like. [:0] The wood may look better in person than it does in picture, kinda plain.

GBusardo

Frank, lol I didnt think of the phallic part, but now that you mention it....
(maybe there is a market in the adult store in the next town lol )
Anyways, I used a slimline kit because I didnt know how it was going to turn out and I figured I can spare one of those. I made it thicker because I wanted to get a good feel of how the wood would look on a heaftier pen. I Wish the picture came out better, but its the best I could do. The design was just something to do, I was more interested in what the wood would look like after its turned.
What's really interesting is everyones taste is different. I am not sure if I like this wood or not. I like cocobolo but I am not crazy about bocote. Go figure...
I am going to carry and use the pen around here for a few more days and see if I get anymore reaction. Todays feedback was good in the office. But maybe they were just being nice.
Thanks to everyone [:)]
Gary

angboy

Originally posted by GBusardo
<br />Frank, lol I didnt think of the phallic part, but now that you mention it....
(maybe there is a market in the adult store in the next town lol )

Hey, don't be barging in on my new marketing idea! [:D][:D] Althoug it sounds like you're a leg up on me, in knowing where the adult store is??? [;)][;)] (Actually, I'm just kidding- we have one in the next town too!).

BTW, my opinion on the pen is that even though it might not be my favorite choice of wood, I do like it, especially crosscut. I really like how you can see the oval shape in the top part, that reflect the growth rings? (if I'm remembering Dario's explanation to me from before when I asked about those things that look like a ghost image of sorts)

GBusardo

angboy, Yes that is a growth ring. The poor picture doesn't show it, but the rings radiate out from the oval. The bottom part of the pen looks more like a 45 degree. The specks running around the blank are pores of the grain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom