OPALS OPALS & more OPALS!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

Here is my latest and greatest... It is a HUGE bodied Cigar pen in Chrome, made with Lilac root burl and you guessed it OPALS! Lots of Opals to be exact.
This wood has a lot of voids in it where a colony of carpenter ants had made their home for years... I wanted to try and fill it before turning, in hopes that I'd save it without any chance of blowouts. Needless to say, after my first experience with opals(the are heck on the tools because they are so dang hard) I knew it would be a challenge.
I wanted to include some of the detail shots of the stones for y'all to see as well. As with my first attempt at opals, these ones are the ones that I mined in Virgin Valley NV.
This is a HUGE pen. I don't think that I've ever seen such a large cigar pen, but I really wanted to show off these beautiful little rainbows. Anyway, I hope y'all enjoy.

2005514222550_Lilac%20Burl%20Opal.jpg

These next 2 photos show off just how remarkable these little stones can be. In the first shot, you get to see the "Green Fire", and in the next shot you can see the "Blue Fire" on the same stone! It all depends on how the light it hitting it. These little things are pretty amazing!

2005514222913_Green%20Fuego.jpg

2005514222940_Blue%20Fuego.jpg

Here is a shot of a void in the burl that was "filled" to look as much like natural "boulder opal" as possible. The flashes of fire didn't really come out in this shot, but you can get the basic idea.

200551422328_burl%20%20opal.jpg

And last but not least is a smaller one that has every color in the prism in it! It goes from red all the way to violet even though the pic barely shows it... There are 3 other spots on the pen that have inlays,(including the largest) but I figured this was enough to show off the general idea. Anyway, enjoy and let me know what you think...

2005514223531_lil%20rainbow.jpg

Take care,
Ben

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
That's thinkng outide the box! or should I say outside the rock or inside the rock or inside and outside the rock and the pen.
What kind of finish do you plan on using on it?

Outstanding and they are mild. Well for someone of my vintage that may be a Lucky Strike.[}:)] Great job and I love those opal inlays.

Daniel

Originally posted by elody21
<br />Ben,
Love the opal pens. Do you get opal pieces from somewhere ?

Alice, do a search on E-bay for "Opal Rough" or do as Ben does. go dig them up. you can also do a search for "Virgin Valley" those are some really nice opals from what I have seen. remember you will be crushing them up. so even stones that are only so so looking will expose some nice firey pieces when broken up. I got lucky or timely. there was a Gem show close buy just as I started looking for some and I got a small bottle of pebble size pieces for $25.00. found one real Gem Quality stone in the bottle. the rest are now dust.

elody21

Thanks Daniel,
I don't think we have opals here in Illinois to dig up ,but if we did I sure would be out there looking. I think there is a gem show this month in Chicago. Great idea! I also saw some where on a site someone selling opal chips. I think I will go back and try to find that site again. I tried using mother of pearl one time and the turning tool would NOT even cut it a little. Although sand paper worked. Puzzling? I LOVE all gems, actually anything that is shiny and sparkles![:X] If I find any sorces I will let everyone know. I will also check into the rough opals. Thanks again! Alice

jdavis

Like the effect of the opals. Wife has a rather large collection of jewerly. Alot of junk pieces with missing stones. This gives me an idea. Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom