Opal Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Snazzypens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snazzypens

Hi Everybody, This weekend I been having a go at doing a pen in resin. This is the outcome of my efforts. First thing I learnt is the resin get really hot. It caused the cheap paint I used on the tubes to bubble.So that was a learning curve for next time. ALl in all though I do like the pen and I love to hear your thoughts.
Toni

20075277468_opal%20sierra.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

Neat idea,Toni!
Those opals look good in your picture,
but I'll bet they are fantastic up
close,in person.[8D]
Care to share the short version of how you did it,
like are they thin chips,glued on tube..??

angboy

Great pen!. I have another question- if the opals are glued on the tubes, how did you avoid getting to where they were coming in contact with the turning tools? Were they that thin that they had plenty of resin above them?

Snazzypens

Ang the chips were mostly just opal flakes that I got from and opal cutter. These were his scraps but I did hit the stones on the end that why it been left a bit thick. So I know for next time just the flakes will be used
Toni

Snazzypens

Here is the next two from this moulding. The slimline although has a whopping big oops band the pen is smooth and no chip outs. The resin I got was terrible for chipping[:(!] The cigar got a large hole in the back that I plan on filling with crushed opals.
Love to know your thoughts
Toni

2007528221859_opal%20cigar%20and%20slimline.jpg
<br />

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If the resin is chipping badly, reduce the hardener, Toni. Also may help with your paint being eaten, since less heat will result.

Nice looking start, tho'!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom