opal inlayed pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Snazzypens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snazzypens

Hi today I tried something new. I have a freind that is flamboyant loves bright colour so I added opal to her pen. Love to hear your feedback. I apologise the opal is not showing up the best. Tommorrow once the sun comes out I will try to get a photo with the sun picking up the stone[:I]I am not real good with a camera
bye Toni

2006112104918_erica%20mum.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Looks like a very nice pen. My only thought is that the edges around the opal inlay should have been softened somehow to make the inlay look more like part of the design. Don't know how you'd accomplish that though. Maybe a dremel tool?

pete00

Your efforts paid off nice job.

To add off of Bill comments, another thought, you could fill in around the opal with a ca crushed stone or metal powder mixture.

you have to know that all my ideas are perscription induced [:p]

pete

broitblat

Looks like a nice touch. I think the yellow laminates help to hightlight the color of the opal, too. How thick is the stone and how did you mount it?

Snazzypens

Originally posted by broitblat
<br />Looks like a nice touch. I think the yellow laminates help to hightlight the color of the opal, too. How thick is the stone and how did you mount it?

Hi Barry THanks. The opal is only 2mm thick. How did I mount the opal. When I glued in the centre tube. I placed the opal down the hole on to the epoxy and let that dry overnight. Then I filled the hole up with the CA glue, but next time I will leave the hole empty til it turned then I will fill the gap. This was a learning experience but so far I am happy with it
bye Toni

Snazzypens

Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />Hi Toni,
My wife has an opal.. her birthstone.. keeps falling out of the ring... wonder how much trouble I would be in if I mounted it on a pen[?][}:)][}:)]

I think you could get shot.
Toni

emackrell

Originally posted by johncrane
<br />G'Day Toni my PITH pen maker l like it too' if you have bigger opals they would look good in a end cap.

LOL John if we didn't know you'd already gotten your PITH pen that post would sure look like a hint!![;)][}:)]

"Say Toni... My PITH pen maker... Wouldn't a nice big opal look great on the end cap? and how about a ruby for the clip...ring of diamonds on the centerband ... and maybe an emerald, just for contrast? Wouldn't the fittings look great in solid gold?"

cheers Eileen [8D]

(kidding, John, KIDDING...)

emackrell

And Toni - that really is one gorgeous pen! In all seriousness an opal on the end cap of a pen would also look spectacular. Nice work!

cheers Eileen

[8D]

jtate

Being an Aussie-chick you probably already know this but I'll say it anyway. A black background behind the opal would bring out its colors a lot more. (I used to do a little lapidary work) Many pieces of opal jewelry are made with the opal slice sandwiched between a flat piece of black onyx and a quartz cabachon. Quartz cabachons are easy to find and cheap to purchase (although I don't know any sources right off) and onyx is too. I don't know how you'd cut the bezel for it, but if you could set the stone from the inside of the piece that would be great.

Opal discolors very easily. I definitely would NOT use it in the end cap unless you use the quartz cabachon as well as a bezel around the whole sandwich.

Just my thoughts.

I gotta also say this is a lovely pen. You have more creativit than I have!

Julia

Snazzypens

No I didn't know that Julia about the black. So thank you very much for that. My freind that bought it from me was thrilled to bits with it. I drilled a 7 mm hole and glued it in filled the hole with superglue. Will taht discolour it?
Thanks for this information very informative
Toni

jtate

I don't think that will discolor it. I KNOW bleach will discolor opal. :( DAMHIKT.

Opal shows those colors because there is a tee-tiny bit of water trapped in the rock. Light going through the rock and the water is what causes the firey sparks. (That's way cool IMHO) So, actually, the CA may be just the ticket for sealing the water in there in a fairly permanent way. You could probably do that with the end cap bezel if you wanted and get a great result.

Like I said, it's a wonderful pen and I'm sure your friend will love it forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom