Only took a few months!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jmbaker79

jmbaker79

Should have only taken a few hours! I Made this pen, sorta, a few months ago, but i ruined the cap, and after assembly I noticed a small fiber in my ca finish! To the shelf it went as I am sure I had something else to make! Finially got around to reworking this one! I reshaped the body as it was not as straight then as it is now. CA finish on the body, regular good ole plastx on the cap, they dont shine any differently. The cap looks slightly underturned in the second photo...hmmm...doesnt feel that way! May take a closer look and refinish it, but I am sure with my luck on this one, it would sit for another few months :rolleyes: Anyhow Chrome Atrax, Segmented with Alt. Bone, Aluminum, and Ameado Teal from EB. Very solid feeling pen! C&C Welcome of course!!

Attachments

• Ameado Teal Close.jpg
    Ameado Teal Close.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 330
  • Ameado Teal Capped.jpg
    Ameado Teal Capped.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 407
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Would you consider showing a pic like the first shot, but with the complete pen showing?

There's something about the look of the combination of the segmenting in the 2nd pic that's throwing me off.:)

gbpens

Instead of a straight taper on the lower barrel you used a sharper drop mainly on the aluminum band and alt. bone. Really looks good. I like your proportion on the segements, especially the aluminum bands. Also, excellent combo on the colors.

jmbaker79

There Ya Go...
Yup, much like it like that. With the cap on, not so much!

I only wish is that my imagination would kick in and tell me to do a pen like this!:redface:

Mack the original cap had an aluminum band about a quarter inch from the center band. It could for sure use something to tie it in to the body, but I believe I prefer it this way. Thanks for the comments though!

SDB777

Sometimes the photo will make it 'appear' to be under-turned when it's just the finish allowing you to see 'into' the blank somewhat. That throws me off quite often also, and makes me grab the calipers to double check the triple check that was double checked....enough to drive ya crazy ain't it!

The segmenting looks awesome! Where did you find the thick aluminum bands for this?

Scott (she's a beaut!) B

jmbaker79

Thanks for the encouragement Scott! :biggrin: The aluminum came from lowes. 1/8" x 1" x 36, or something like that! Enough for at least 36 bands, couple bucks out of pocket!

rebel1

I have been trying to glue a piece of aluminum to a piece of wood and every time I try to drill the hole for the tube it comes apart. I have used CA glue, Gorilla glue and Epoxy and none of them will hold. I can't figure out how to post on the main page so maybe you can help. Thanks Harrell

jmbaker79

Herrell, check out the segmenting forum for some advice there! Personally I have experienced the same thing that you speak of! I rarely drill through thicker aluminum after segmenting these days. Like for this pen, I would drill the aluminum, the alt bone, and the teal separately. square the ends and then glue together and clamp it overnight. It eliminates the heat transfer while drilling the aluminum. As far as posting to the front page....any new thread you start should show up on the front page. Just pick a forum category, and create a new thread, should show up from there!

Hendu3270

Fine looking pen. Funny how the aluminum looks just like the chorme plated hardware. Just starting to play with the aluminum accents on my pens. Great job!!

Sawdust46

Rebel1, I had the same problem until I bought a drill doctor and sharpen my drill bits. If you haven't sharpened your bits and have been using them for a while, you don't realize how dull they are.

Top Bottom