This one's mine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bnoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnoles

After making 30 something pens since beginning this sport, I realized that I was still penless, so I decided I needed to make one for ME.

DCBluesman and I did a little trading and I ended up with a beautiful Bocote blank from him that I used in this special pen. The kit is a Black Titanium Baron from AS. The finish was a new process to me using Myland's products all the way thru. Two coats of sanding sealer at 600 and MM thru 12,000. Nine coats of Lacquer rubbed on (3 per day) allowing to dry 24 hours and MM the first 2 applications and then 2 coats of friction polish topped off with TSW to finialize. I know it was probably overkill, but I found it an opportunity to experiment and learn.

I would like constructive critique on this pen if possible. I have thick skin and want the good, bad and ugly from y'all so I can use it to improve my skills. I know my photo skills stink and I will work on those later down the road, but let's hear about the pen and finish for now.

I want to carry and use this pen to show others and maybe I can even get a sale or 2 from it, although this is really more a hobby to me than anything.

Thanks for looking and any comments you have to offer.

20061231114258_PC300006.jpg

20061231114317_PC300007.jpg

20061231114334_PC300008.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JudeA

I think ya did a great job their. The first photo the pen looks kinda sticky. I think/and this is my opinion/ ya did do an overkill but I do not think that finish will go anywhear anytime soon, so if ya got the time go for it. As for me I like the quicker finish espesiualy if ya go a nice order like more then 5 pens. Keep it up.

- In the first photo it looks to me like you did not match the grain pattern.
- The fit of the wood to the hardware looks great.

About the finish:
What sort of finish are you looking for? A high gloss/glass look, A semi-gloss look, or a natural look? From what I see you have a decent looking semi-gloss look.

challagan

Bob, I like that pen buddy. You did a nice job. You sound like me on the finishes. I like to try them all! I like to wipe on lacquer myself. I usually will do 3 hand applied on the lathe coats in one day, let dry overnight and do another 3 the following day. Then I let it cure a week before micro meshing it as I find unless it is cured the finish ruins the micro mesh. I get a very nice hi gloss finish with 2400 - 12,000 but just a light touch cause you do't want to go thru the finish. Nice job Buddy!

Corey

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Bob -

I toned your picture up a bit with Photoshop - I hope you don't mind.

20061231192814_bobn%20copy.jpg
<br />

Overall, I like the pen. It will give you a very good measuring stick for your next efforts.

In terms of improving, it appears that you may not have prepped your blank quite enough during the sealing stage. Bocote has significant pores and really benefits from sealing early and often. I oftem start at about 1/32" oversized with sealing and re-sanding, start at either 400 grit or MicroMesh 1500. Bocote can take 3-4 layers of sealer to get a perfectly smooth surface to start with. The fit looks excellent and the grain matching looks very good to these old tired eyes. When/if you get a buffing system, you will be able to skip those last friction polish steps as the lacquer finish will glisten.

Very nice work. You should be darned proud of it. [8D]

bnoles

Thanks so much for all the critique and every bit is well taken on my end as this is the one way to learn from those with better eyes and more experience than I.

Lou, I appreciate the photo enhancement and pointers more than you will ever know. This was a new wood to me and the characteristics were an uphill battle to say the least. One thing that stands out more than anything is my poor photography skills. I have reviewed picture # 1 both original and enhanced and see what appears to be open grain next to the clip as described. In looking at the pen itself under a lighted magnifying glass, the open grain does not exist or at least to my old tired eyes. I had my wife look at it as well and she says it is not there either. Pictures can many times pick up things the eye cannot and sometimes poor photo skills can add things that are not there as well. I do have the Beall buffing system, but elected to experiment a different route on this one to see what the end reslut produced (hey... I'm trying to teach myself what don't work [B)])

Regardless of which is correct, the magnifying glass or the picture, I have gained valuable tips and knowledge from your replies and appreciate each of you that have posted.

Corey, good to see you back [;)]

And Rob.. smells like pickles??? That's a new one to me and had me rolling on the floor [:D]

The finish I was after could be best described as a smooth, deep, low luster, clear coating to allow the wood to speak.

Now... I think I better go spend some time in the photography section of IAP [:D][:D][:D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by bnoles
<br />I have reviewed picture # 1 both original and enhanced and see what appears to be open grain next to the clip as described. In looking at the pen itself under a lighted magnifying glass, the open grain does not exist or at least to my old tired eyes. I had my wife look at it as well and she says it is not there either. Pictures can many times pick up things the eye cannot and sometimes poor photo skills can add things that are not there as well

Bob - You've picked up a key lesson on trying to critique a pen based on a photograph. The camera lens is mono-vision while our eyes are stereo-vision. The camera does not always portray our pens accurately. Since I'm sure your wife is much younger than either of us, and since I'm sure she has better eyes, I stand corrected! [:p]

And it's still a darned fine pen!

After getting home to a decent monitor, I stand corrected on the grain match... It looks very good.

The finish I was after could be best described as a smooth, deep, low luster, clear coating to allow the wood to speak.

You hit your mark dead on. Nice finish.

As before, the fit looks superb.

In my last post I forgot to mention the wood/finish combination; nice paring.

Overall I would be very proud if I produced a pen of that caliber.

bnoles

Thanks again, y'all....

I am but a humble student tryng to learn from the Masters [:)]

Not going to give up until I get there either [:D][;)]

gerryr

I see the same thing Lou sees at the end of the clip, but I know from experience that photos can be really deceiving. I think the fit and finish both look great. That's a pen you can be proud of and it's about time you had a nice one for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom