One success, one failure

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jarod888

Jarod888

I turned two pens today. The first one is a slimline using a Black Titanium kit. The wood is Grapefruit. I've had this blank for about 4.5 years.

216th.jpg

qztmu.jpg

The second pen for today was not nearly as successful. In fact, it was my first blow out. The wood is Black Palm. The pen nib end is trashed, but I managed to finish out the top half. I will probably glue up a segmented piece to act as the bottom half.

ipblw.jpg

d335h.jpg

Here is a better view of the top half, or at least what will eventually become part of a pen.

aa3mg.jpg

I think I will glue together the spare ~1 inch piece of black palm and a piece of gaboon ebony to make the other half. What is the best method for glue up? I was thinking thick CA or Gorilla Glue. I know I will have to square up the ends, and I think I will use my sander for that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Looks like the dreaded failure at the glue-tube interface.

Does not appear to be either epoxy or polyethelene glue.

Marker

What type of Glue did you use? To me it looks as if the brass tube was not glued well enough. Which caused a week spot under the wood, and caused it to split. You want the tube glued as solid as possible.

I use Gorilla Glue. because it allows me to get more of an even coat of glue around the tube.

I tried Ca a few times, but if you are not quick enough it can dry too fast. also it seems harder to get more of an even coat of glue around the tube. Which is not good. Again .....you want them as solid as possible.

This happened to me once using ca glue with a Tru-stone blank..........I tried Ca glue, because I was out of Gorilla glue.....anyway when I when to push the tube in it dried too fast with the tube half ways in. and I cracked the blank by trying to force it in.

So I would recommend Gorilla Glue Everyday.

I have not yet tried epoxy.

-Mark

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Your second pen is, indeed palm. But it is not black palm.

I have heard it described as red or white.

None of the palm varieties are real easy to turn. Probably better to put them into the "next stage of turning" category,

Keep practicing---no substitute for experience!!

Jarod888

I used CA medium. The funny thing is I had to re-glue that tube. Initially it seemed fine, but when I went to square the end with my pen mill, it pulled out. I pushed it out with with a longer piece of tube and reapplied the glue to both the tube and the inside of the blank. I let it dry and it seemed solid.

The picture is a bit deceiving, I took it after I broke the blank apart and then placed it back on the tube for a picture. I did not press it tightly together, rather I just placed the pieces on the tube.

This is one of the pieces which I posted a week or so asking for identification. The consensus was Black Palm. Is there an easy way to tell the difference between black, white, and red palm.

tomas

The second pen I ever turned was a black palm blank. It turned out very nicely and I used it as my carry pen for a long time. However, since that time, every time I have tried to turn palm, it has blown-out.

Tomas

bruce119

The first looks like nice wood and a good job. Citrus is a nice hard wood easy to turn you can get away with CA to the tube but I would use at least medium or thick.

Now the second Palm is a much more difficult unstable wood to work with as you found out. I would defiantly use plenty of epoxy and rough up the tube. Even then it's tricky Palm is basically fibers held together with mud. Just go at it with high speed and very easy cuts.

Keep up the good work.

SDB777

Palm is a love it or hate it wood/grass/whatever....for a lot of people. But when the stars all get lined up, and you figure out where your tongue needs to be laying inside your mouth(and are walking around with one shoe on).....it comes out great! Don't give up!!!

Love the vine timber above!!!!!

Scott

Top Bottom