The one that started the Trend

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

OK I said I saved the best for last or at least what I think is the best because it was what sparked my idea and method of making segmented pens of which I had shown with the dots and aluminum and such, but first let me make abit of a statement.

I stepped away from this site for various reasons for awhile which I won't go into but when I did this was a thread that was making its rounds.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/where-innovation-70518/

Ed made a general question and statement that made a ton of sense at the time. In fact it still applys today and yes there are some new ideas popping up such as the pen on the front page. It is not the pen so much because it is just another pen with something encased in resin, but the material used and the method of achieving the look that is so pleaseing and new and fresh. It is thinking outside the box. (Please there is no offense in this statement so please do not over react)

I think within Ed's challenge which I took it as, I found myself asking what can I do to expand my pen turning and blank making abilities???. I have not gotten into the kitless craze but may lead me down that path someday. I love to work with wood and tools. So without going out and buying a metal lathe and all the goodies that go with it, I thought I would try to utilize the wood lathe and wood cutting tools I have. So I did just that. Thus the pens I have recently shown and this one were created. As I said it is not the design of the blank because these designs are out there and have been but it is the method that they were done with. I will tell you basically I used a trim router and my wood Jet 1014 VS lathe and some jigs to hold the router. That is all. I have a few more ideas I want to try utilyzing my methods. Hopefully I will be able to post them when completed. Work and family are taking alot of my time right now.

It has been a fun week for me and I appreciate all the kind words about my pens and some of the fun we had. Skiprat is truely a talented person and people here should observe what he has to offer. He is our Today's (EAGLE).

I truely encourage all penturners to accept Ed's challenge and show us what the future of penturning has in store and lead us to some new and innovative ideas. Please do not shy away from the idea of being copied. You are here and reading this so you have enjoyed the knowledge given forth so far on this site. Take this site to some new heights.

So with that here is the first of two I made using this design. It is a Roman Harvest kit. The woods used are Gabon ebony and Holly. The finish is 8 coats of med CA. Thanks for looking and as always any comments or questions are always welcomed.

IMGP0881.jpg

IMGP0892.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Pretty pen John...

As for the rest... I just have to say that it tickles my funny bone in a strange way how you linked to that thread... Why? Because in the last post of that thread you said "Well Gary I think we should just close this thread right here." .... and the thread wasn't closed, but it did stop at that point - and now by linking to it, I can pretty much guarantee that post won't be the last post any more! (Note this is not an objection or critique in any way in what you said or did... it just amuses me!)

Jjartwood

Are you kidding me ? Offense? When a pen of this caliber hits a post all I want to do
is study it. The Acme Rocket Pen was a lightening strike for me.
I've studied your pens, and having two wood workers before me with the same last name
who I'm sure would agree that it is worth a good pocket knife in trade.(my grandfathers
saying value was measured in trading something of worth instead of worthless paper money) I WOULD LOVE TO BUILD SOMETHING LIKE THIS!
Good Work!
I'm a fan
Mark

jttheclockman

Pretty pen John...

As for the rest... I just have to say that it tickles my funny bone in a strange way how you linked to that thread... Why? Because in the last post of that thread you said "Well Gary I think we should just close this thread right here." .... and the thread wasn't closed, but it did stop at that point - and now by linking to it, I can pretty much guarantee that post won't be the last post any more! (Note this is not an objection or critique in any way in what you said or did... it just amuses me!)

I am glad to make you smile:biggrin: Things come full circle in life I guess.

Jim Smith

Beautiful pen and flawlessly executed. It is indeed when people create their own personal challenges to accomplish something new and unique that barriers are crossed and new ideas emerge. That's part of the uniqueness of this site where very talented and creative people openly share their ideas all in the name of expanding our craft.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful new pen design.

Jim Smith

IPD_Mr

While this is probably the most difficult of the pens you have shown in the last week and technically perfect, it just does not have the pop your other pens seem to have. At least for me and I do realize that it is a personal preference thing. The black and ivory have an old time look to it and then the sharp contrast of the polished rhodium confuses the (my) senses.

Now having said what I think of the look, could I make this pen? No. So with that bit of information you can surely prioritize my comments. :wink:

Oh and aside from all that BS - heck of a fine job!

alamocdc

Most excellent piece of segmentation, John! It does have a vintage look. But it also goes beyond that pushing the contemporary envelope. I agree with Dean on the highly polished appointments... to a point. A satin finish on them would be absolutely startling. That said, when I was learning how to be an instructor's instructor I was taught not to critique something that the individual had no control over. Like the appointments. And I've only seen satin finishes on lesser kits so we'll just leave it at that (possible hint to our vendors - within reason, of course).

Your acknowledgement of Steven's abilities is both admirable and humble. Admirable because, he may well be our "Eagle" of metal pen crafting, but let's not forget the likes of Bruce Boone (while we are at it). Now I love Steven's pens, but Bruce made a fountain pen years ago that is still at the very top of my want list. I also said humble. This is because of the humility of all of your posted offerings of late. No, "Look what I did.", but "This was done using..." and reminding us to be innovative. But when it comes to wood, you have as much "Eagle" spirit as anyone. And this pen proves it.

Now for the part of your post that bothers me. You write as if this will be your last post for awhile and are once again going on hiatus. Yes, you have to work. Most of us do. And yes, family is so very important. And largely what kept me away for the last 4 years. But you need some "me" time too. I know. I was...

Just don't be a stranger. You can still get a turning or two in and come share your opinions and ideas with friends. Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest.

switch62

Let me start by stating that I am a novice at pen making.

John it is a beautiful pen as are all the ones you have shown recently. I can appreciate the skill, time and passion it took to make.

As for innovation I agree with you and Gary at the end of that thread. That said, an innovator will not be able to do a lot in isolation. Without being exposed to new ideas, methods, and experiences innovation cannot thrive.

When I started pen making it seemed to be simple in principal, and it is. But where the innovation is, is to take that simple thing and raise it to another level. This is what happens in this forum.

When I first joined this forum, I went through the library. I learnt so much and still am. I was blown away by the idea of making a complete pen from scratch (kitless). I check the forum every day, several times, and find something new every time. This forum is the seed of innovation, where novices can learn from masters, and masters from each other. You, skiprat,and many others are masters, every time I see one of your pens I try to figure out how it's done and how can I make it with my limited resources.

I too, wish I had more time to devote to pen making but many times life requires other things of us.

Tony O

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Beautifully made as per usual John.
Just my taste but I think your Ying Yang Panache was more appealing:wink:

alphageek

Former Moderator
Most excellent piece of segmentation, John! It does have a vintage look. But it also goes beyond that pushing the contemporary envelope. I agree with Dean on the highly polished appointments... to a point.

LOL... You definately credited the wrong person there! That was Mike, not Dean. Dean is definately not the type to comment on how contemporary something is! Dean is much more about the craftsmanship side of things than the art side! (Nothing wrong with either side, but I know my limits of expertise and though I have views of what I like, I wouldn't know to call it contemporary or not if my life depended on it.)

Daniel

I read a small portion of the liked thread. I am nto sure if I shoudl put this here or on that thread.

But let me remind many of you. before tis group was started.

Home stabilization was considered impossible and to dangerous to attempt. This was the conclusion of any conversation started abotu it for years and many many times over.

Acrylic and other reason pens where almost unheard of and even then only available from suppliers. $12.00 was considered a really expansive blank. Using something like animal skin in a pen was not even possible. I had never heard of a pen being made of Mammoth Ivory. Alligator bone or many other materials. I saw it argued three times at least that moose antler would never make a good pen. Segmenting barely existed and where it did it consisted or stripes and angled bands. closed in and hidden clips did not exist. Things like having custom nibs, clips etc was shot down time and time again. Making custom center bands was the big deal. Bruce Boone was still making his first titanium pen. Groups buys where fairly well uncommon. I know of only one person that did them and that person had given them up. The primary focus for nearly any pen turner to improve their craft was on finish. period.

So I will say this even though hit sounds harsh. It really comes from my love if this group and it's members. Maybe it is time to stop bitching about what you don't have and start being grateful for what you do. I may be wrong on that one though. But this next one I am not.

Not everyone invents a light bulb. It only takes one light bulb inventor and they are extremely rare. So if you live with a desire to see light bulbs invented. then gain the courage fo your conviction and get busy. But it is not your business to put that desire into even one other human being. In fact you are out of line to even think you should.

I have lived my entire penturning career not making one costume pen or creating one new idea. And guess what. I don't intend to. not then,not now, not ever. That is not what I want to do. And as long as I pay the bills for my shop. I get to do in it what I want. What that is is really none of your business and your opinion about what it is is really not welcome.

For those on their ego trips about innovation is somehow better. I think you are ****ing away a lot of good penmaking money making mistakes and wasting materials.

I don't think tutorials should be banned. I don't think innovation should stop. What I think is that some people need to stop thinking the are better than others and do what they do and let others do what they do.

In short all of you self proclaimed greats need to take a back seat for a while and stop considering yourself such assets to the rest of us. Your not. sorry to break it to you. You benefit from your innovation because you are the one that desires to innovate. You sharing how to make a celtic knot is not one bit better than the years I have spent explaining to newcomers how to drill a hole through a blank.

For all of those wearing their innovator feather. I will tell you that you are not all that. I can think of plenty, and know how to do it, that as far as I can tell you have not even thought of. I don't do it because I don't want to. This is the very fundamental root thing I have against the penmakers guild. a bunch of high and might self proclaimed greats ruining things for everyone else. declaring themselves the guiding light of penturning. May I suggest you take that light and shove it up your *** and see if you can find your head.

Regardless of my words I am not angry. In fact I am very clear on what I am saying and why I am saying it. If you don't get it because you are offended or something. then think of this for a while.

BAN EGOS. I think that needs to be this groups motto for a while. Never for a second think your way of doing something is better than anyone elses. It's disgusting and stinks up the place.

Last edited:

alamocdc

Most excellent piece of segmentation, John! It does have a vintage look. But it also goes beyond that pushing the contemporary envelope. I agree with Dean on the highly polished appointments... to a point.

LOL... You definately credited the wrong person there! That was Mike, not Dean. Dean is definately not the type to comment on how contemporary something is! Dean is much more about the craftsmanship side of things than the art side! (Nothing wrong with either side, but I know my limits of expertise and though I have views of what I like, I wouldn't know to call it contemporary or not if my life depended on it.)

Oh crap! Mea culpa! :redface: Thanks for straightening me out, Dean! Sorry for the false accusation!

Daniel, I have to disagree to a point. I saw no ego in what John said. A challenge to be the best we can in our craft, yes, but ego, no. I also saw no slam against those who do not wish to push the envelope. It's been said here before, this ain't rocket science. And while that is true, it's also fun for some of us to try and take it there, so to speak. The pen in the front page speaks to that pun.

Last edited:

cnirenberg

John,
Great looking pen. I was shown how to to the HB 360 when that was the buzz (by the Master, I must say), and this type of pen never ceases to amaze me. I love the color contrast, it reminds me of those illusion pics. Fantastic pen, nice to see your posts once again.

firewhatfire

I saw this pen or 1 similar once before. It is one of the pens that made me want to learn segmenting. It still holds that same fascination
And I have still yet to complete 1 like it. It makes me want to take a trip to the shop and try again.

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
A very great looking segmented blank that shows talent, art, out of the box thinking, and all displayed on nice looking pen parts. The pen parts shown, I have. The talent displayed on those parts I do not have, but I try to achieve. Thank you again for inspiring me to try again to make a segmenting pen blank to put on "pen parts" to display that work.

Now, I think "Daniel" must be 80 yrs old by expressing his opinion like that. I have always said about myself, "I am over 80 yrs old and can, and do, express myself, as I have the longivity and earned that right". So, bully for Daniel. I like the opinion expressed. So, back to the drawing board as I think that is where great blanks are created, not just the shop.

Haynie

I really like this pen and it is the contrasts mentioned by IPD Mr. that I like the most. Hence the no accounting for taste. Obviously I have the better taste:biggrin:

Now, I will say it is not all that innovative. I have seen much more innovative segments but as said it is a nice pen. One I would be happy to own and proud to have made.

Daniel
Your post brings up some valid points and I wish you had posted it as a separate thread for more to see.

jttheclockman

Well now. I thank all that have commented on the pen and weather you like the blank or not or the hardware or not is a matter of choice and opinion and I appreciate it. As far as the complexity or the difficulty in making this blank to me is irrelevant. I have one that is abit more complex on the work table as we speak. But it was the method I used to get to this point is what I pronounced moreso.

As far as what Daniel said and I am still not sure what it is he said but if it is something I said in my opening statement I have no regrets and take back nothing. Some people choose to be followers and some choose to be leaders. If one is satisfied in their everyday tasks then so be it. But if we never had any leaders or people thinking outside the box and making new innovations where in the world would we be today??? I know this stuff is not rocket science and it is just a hobby for most of us with the hopes of picking up a few extra dollars but it too deserves to expand and develop to newer heights just like every other hobby, sport, or task. So to discourage others from expanding an artform is conterproductive and I am not going to do that. Other than that I have no comment.

Top Bottom