One Slimline.....Two Cigar and a Wall Street II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Hello All
I use some of the things Evelyn got me for Christmas. Some of the blanks she got me, the wood river pen vise, the wood river pen mill set, the milescraft pen press and one of the wall street II. The slimline is made form birdseye maple (It for an order I have) I have never worked with birdseye maple before it turns and finishes really nice, the cigars are from red river gum and jatoba both turn nice and take a nice finish (one of which is for an order I have) and the wall street II is Bubinga which is one of Evelyn's favorite woods. All and finished with 5 coats of hut crystal coat. The cigar kit I got off ebay a set of 10 kits, bushings and 3 extra tubes for about $35.00. As always any and call comments are welcome.

Attachments

• Bubinga Wall Street II.jpg
    Bubinga Wall Street II.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 202
  • Jatoba cigar.jpg
    Jatoba cigar.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 182
  • Red River Gum cigar.jpg
    Red River Gum cigar.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 170
  • Birdseye Malple Slimline.jpg
    Birdseye Malple Slimline.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

Bubinga is one of my favorites, too. Whether turned or flatwork, I like to apply a few coats of an oil (I use walnut oil) and let it dry before applying the finish coat. It helps keep the richness of the reds that sometimes fade away.

Nice group of pens.

Last edited:

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the nice comments, They did caused one problem. I wasn't planning on going out today but I'm going to have to get a new hat since my old one will no longer fit.
A question for you Brian. Were do you buy your walnut oil and do you use it on any of your other pens or other turnings.

Last edited:

Brian G

I bought it at Woodcraft. My opinion is the type of oil doesn't matter too much. Boiled Linseed Oil, Watco Danish Oil (Natural), Tung Oil, . . . any would work. I don't particularly care for the aroma of boiled linseed oil. I apply the oil to embellish the grain and enhance the color saturation. Supposedly, walnut oil doesn't impart an amber tone. I don't know that for sure.

I do make sure to wait a few days before final finish to ensure that the oil is dry. I don't use it on naturally oily woods, but anything with a little color, striking grain, curl, or chatoyance benefits from a little oil.

That's all based on my experience with finishing flat work.

Didn't mean to divert the attention from your nice collection of pens. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom