This one was a real pain! A must see!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey guys,

This one kicked my ***!!!

The finish on this one really gave me a hard time. In fact, I had to sand it to the wood three times, for some reason I got glue build-up on the end of the blanks, anyway it was a nightmare but I WON! I did it!!!

So here it is, purpleheart with sapwood and spalt lines in the sapwood, awesome piece, lots of chatoyance as well! You can see through the reflection of the light! ;)

Comments welcomed,

Charles

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Oh yes, I have a "thing" for any 2 tone woods and this one is no exception, indeed.

It may have had giving you a hell of a time to get the finish right but, it certainly was worth it.

Your pens always have an excellent finish and depth so, this one is no different, the good quality pics you take, do help immensely to show the real figure and colours of your pens, something that most of us still struggling to achieve, even those with a considerable investment with their photography equipment.

Cheers
George

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Great work! And well worth the effort. I don't remember seeing purpleheart with sapwood before. What a beauty!

PenPal

Hi Charles there are some makers of pens for whom I must get a rubber stamp that says YOU HAVE DONE IT AGAIN WHAT MORE CAN I SAY.

I can say this timber finished well with a lesser impact than some others you have made lately also not seeing the whole pen in a setting at about normal size is difficult for me to get perspective. Admire your determination in perservering with problems and yes you did it your way. For many years I cut all sap wood off my pens but now like to include some but not always. I have a 30yr cut small log of Aussie Mulga looking forward to hopping into that sometime soon following your example I will make some with Sap and heart wood. I tend to cut my timber at right angles as well so the sap band does not run with the grain.

Subtle colour in your pen and agree with the previous comments 100% regarding what you called Chatoyance an expression that is as neat as your pen is.

Kind regards Peter.

CharlesH

Oh yes, I have a "thing" for any 2 tone woods and this one is no exception, indeed.

It may have had giving you a hell of a time to get the finish right but, it certainly was worth it.

Your pens always have an excellent finish and depth so, this one is no different, the good quality pics you take, do help immensely to show the real figure and colours of your pens, something that most of us still struggling to achieve, even those with a considerable investment with their photography equipment.

Cheers
George

Thanks George! Multi-colors woods is the way to go! :)

Charles

Top Bottom