One Piece Slimline--Sort of

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

its_virgil

A couple of weeks ago Dale Allen posted a picture of a pen made from slimline parts that twisted at the top. This reminded me that I had made some notes awhile back about doing this to the one piece slimlines I make. I did a less elaborate treatment of the clip because I really wanted the pen to have the illusion of being a one piece slimline. Thanks Dale for reminding me of some notes I had made months ago. The wood is imbuia.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• 2013-01-26 23.53.53.jpg
    2013-01-26 23.53.53.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 492
  • 2013-01-26 23.54.19.jpg
    2013-01-26 23.54.19.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 464
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Don;
How do you deal with the issue of the clip rubbing on the blank?
I like this and may copy it later. Well, not an 'exact' copy! :biggrin:

You are welcome on the reminder, although I could not have known!:wink:
I guess it was my 'turn'! :laugh:

its_virgil

Dale,
I do have some concern about the clip rubbing on the wood. I'll use this one for awhile and see what happens. If needed I will look for a solution. The finish is CA so maybe wear will not show and be a problem. Copy away. I like your clip treatment but wanted this pen to look like the one piece slimline I make. Thanks for the comments.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Don;
How do you deal with the issue of the clip rubbing on the blank?
I like this and may copy it later. Well, not an 'exact' copy! :biggrin:

You are welcome on the reminder, although I could not have known!:wink:
I guess it was my 'turn'! :laugh:

Dale Allen

Well, if the clip could be designed to not mark the wood then a version with the clip and cap turning would then eliminate the need for the split sections. Just thinking out loud!

Ed McDonnell

Looks good. One more design change and it would be perfect. Use a click mechanism instead of the twist. :) Of course, that's just my humble (or maybe not so humble sounding) opinion. :rolleyes:

Years ago, I had a pen where the clip came loose. I was too lazy to fix it and used it with the loose ciip. I was surprised how quickly the CA finish got marked.

Does anybody out there actually prefer to twist their pen instead of click it? What would the pen turning world be like if whoever made the first slimline pen kit had designed it to click instead of twist? I made a lot of twist pens over the years and everyone who got one loved it. Nobody ever asked me why I didn't make it click instead of twist. Would they have loved click pens as much?

Maybe the requirement to twist creates the illusion of higher quality in the users mind. Sort of like having to wind an expensive watch instead of buying a cheap battery operated one (that probably keeps better time).

But getting back to the Don's posted topic. You could modify the design to make the pen body a little longer with the clip attached to the body. A small twist rod would protrude through a hole at the back. Just like the click button does on a clicker. Instead of clicking the button, you would twist it to operate the pen. The creative use of both 7mm and 8mm tube inside the body would make this doable. And imagine all the fun you get as users try to click the pen until they figure out that they are supposed to twist! This one might be a tough sell.

Ed

its_virgil

But getting back to the Don's posted topic. You could modify the design to make the pen body a little longer with the clip attached to the body.
The pen body is about as long as it can be and still have access to the refill to remove and replace it with a new one. The shorter blank attached to the clip-finial assemble could be longer so the clip touched only that short piece. A longer tube would be needed to reach the transmission.

A small twist rod would protrude through a hole at the back. Just like the click button does on a clicker. Instead of clicking the button, you would twist it to operate the pen. The creative use of both 7mm and 8mm tube inside the body would make this doable.
A clever idea and I may give that a try.

Dale Allen had a solution for the clip not marking the wood by attaching the clip to the top of the longer lower barrel instead of to the top of the shorter one like I did. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Mr Vic

Get a bulk piece of 7mm brass tube and cut it to the length of the lower tube plus the 'kit' centerband. Don't cut the blank but drill all the way through. Glue in the upper tube. Slip in the extended tube which will bottom out on the upper tube. Turn and finish the one piece blank. Leave the long tube in when you press in the clip and finial then remove. Press the nib and transmission into the naked lower 'kit' tube, install the refill and push into the pen. You can now extend and retract the point by twisting the nib.

its_virgil

You have just described how to make a one piece slimline which I have been making for years.This thread is not about making a one piece slimline. I started this thread to show my take on a pen using slimline parts that twists at the top and was posted by Dale Allen a few weeks back. My pen just happens to look like the one piece slimlines I make but the twisting is at the top instead of center or at the nib. :wink::biggrin:
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Get a bulk piece of 7mm brass tube and cut it to the length of the lower tube plus the 'kit' centerband. Don't cut the blank but drill all the way through. Glue in the upper tube. Slip in the extended tube which will bottom out on the upper tube. Turn and finish the one piece blank. Leave the long tube in when you press in the clip and finial then remove. Press the nib and transmission into the naked lower 'kit' tube, install the refill and push into the pen. You can now extend and retract the point by twisting the nib.

Last edited:

asyler

Local Chapter Leader
i thought this wouldn't be too hard,,
but,, i'm not even going to post pictures of what happened the wood turned out ok but pen doesn't work,, top tube was too long so i cut some off(yes too much) so i drilled what was left of the tube out and replaced it, (crooked) top tubes now hangs on something before it gets to transmission,so in the personal use box..
you guys are true craftsmen!!

BradG

Applause for thinking outside the box. I like that, and its nice to receive some inspiration as to what to do with the mechanisms i have from all the pen kits I trashed when learning to turn pens. I knew throwing them away would have been a bad idea :biggrin:

Janster

Maybe.........

cnsider making the body in the style of the new "Concava" (sp), that would eliminate any RUB? Be well......Jan

asyler

Local Chapter Leader
might,, but it is the challenge of doing something out of something that is different..
i 'know' how don did it,, just poor 'execution' on my part on this one,, will try again..

Hendu3270

Perhaps I should wait later in the day to ask this question, to give my slow brain a little more time for "Monday" to wear off. But...as I look at this pen. The transmission is pressed completely down into the lower barrel, correct? Once the two barrels are assembled, it seems like the upper tube will just rotate around the transmission and never actually advance the refill. Right? Obviously not, but how exactly is this one working?

its_virgil

Maybe this picture will help. The lower tube is pressed onto the nib and the transmission pressed into the tube as would normallyu be done, except this is all done prior to gluing into the blank. I suppose it could ve done differently. I turned the two barrel pieces with a non-glued tube...just a loose tube. Then glued in the lower tube assembly. The upper tube grabs the transmission exactly as it would in a standard slimline. Although I did shorten the tube just a bit so it goes onto the transmission easier and comes off easier. Maybe this picture will help.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Perhaps I should wait later in the day to ask this question, to give my slow brain a little more time for "Monday" to wear off. But...as I look at this pen. The transmission is pressed completely down into the lower barrel, correct? Once the two barrels are assembled, it seems like the upper tube will just rotate around the transmission and never actually advance the refill. Right? Obviously not, but how exactly is this one working?

Attachments

• figure 10.jpg
    figure 10.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 96

asyler

Local Chapter Leader
jump over to don's red river pen web site, goto the pen section, there are instructions for a one piece, (bottom twist) the one he made is top twist, and the top tube set in the place as a regular slimline just doesn t have any wood around it,, and is seated in the top 'cap'..

Hendu3270

Maybe this picture will help. The lower tube is pressed onto the nib and the transmission pressed into the tube as would normallyu be done, except this is all done prior to gluing into the blank. I suppose it could ve done differently. I turned the two barrel pieces with a non-glued tube...just a loose tube. Then glued in the lower tube assembly. The upper tube grabs the transmission exactly as it would in a standard slimline. Although I did shorten the tube just a bit so it goes onto the transmission easier and comes off easier. Maybe this picture will help.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I gotcha. It isn't difficult I just wasn't thinking right.

its_virgil

A few weeks back I posted this pen. The article I wrote has been published. I just sent a copy of it to the librarian so those who are intrerested watch for it to be placed in the library.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• figure 14.jpg
    figure 14.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 84
  • figure 13.jpg
    figure 13.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 82
Top Bottom