One piece slimline attempt..fraught with problems!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Phillip Kelley

I read one of the tutorials from the library about a one-piece slimline & decided to give it a try. One of ideas mentioned in the notes was that it was difficult to twist just using the nib alone, so...I decided to add a short section near the end that would make it easier to hold on to & twist! 1st problem was that the tool grabbed while I was getting a bit of glue off near the 1st colored section & I almost cut the brass tube into! 2nd problem, for the long tube I decided to use a piece of Alumlite that I had cast (without a pressure pot) & discovered that it was full of pin holes! (should have thrown it in the trash then) I went on & soon the 3rd problem showed up when the clip end blew out. So I glued up another colored "clown" section & got it glued on what was left of my tube. I sanded a little, & applied the CA (3 different times because of unknown problems...maybe it was/is too humid! I kinda like the colored sections, so I may get me a good blank from Central Arkansas group member Slabs/Blanks/Boards & try another one!

Attachments

• ClownA.jpg
    ClownA.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 338
  • Clown2B.jpg
    Clown2B.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 288
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

79spitfire

I like it! I had the same problem when I experimented with Alumilite RC-3 It's supposed to degas on it's own, because it sets so quickly (2-3 min open time) it's hard to get into a pressure pot. (I'll likely try again, just because I'm like that...) Sometimes I have ADD moments when I need an idea to go quickly.

Kenny Durrant

I think it looks great. I've made a few myself. I like the smaller pen to carry and the one piece design gives you a little more to hang onto when you try to write. Mine were stiff a first and I put a little fishing reel oil on the transmission and just a little residue off an oily paper towel on the bottom of the barrel so the nib would slide easier. It helped greatly.

its_virgil

Phillip,
I wrote one of the one piece slimline tutorials. Not sure which one you used. I've also written an article with improvements. Not sure if I put it in the library or even if you want to see it. It is attached if you want to take a look.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I read one of the tutorials from the library about a one-piece slimline & decided to give it a try. One of ideas mentioned in the notes was that it was difficult to twist just using the nib alone, so...I decided to add a short section near the end that would make it easier to hold on to & twist! 1st problem was that the tool grabbed while I was getting a bit of glue off near the 1st colored section & I almost cut the brass tube into! 2nd problem, for the long tube I decided to use a piece of Alumlite that I had cast (without a pressure pot) & discovered that it was full of pin holes! (should have thrown it in the trash then) I went on & soon the 3rd problem showed up when the clip end blew out. So I glued up another colored "clown" section & got it glued on what was left of my tube. I sanded a little, & applied the CA (3 different times because of unknown problems...maybe it was/is too humid! I kinda like the colored sections, so I may get me a good blank from Central Arkansas group member Slabs/Blanks/Boards & try another one!

Attachments

• one+piece+improvements reduced.pdf
    285.1 KB · Views: 373

navycop

I am confuse by the Rockler directions. On top it says "Blank is 5/8" x 4 1/8" long. Then step one says the blank should be 3 1/16". Is the long brass tube (Long barrel) 4 1 /8" and the short brass tube (short barrel) 3 1/16"? In the picture the short barrel doesn't look that long.

its_virgil

Mike,
Phillip is not making the top long kit from Rockler. He is using a slimline kit and making the barrel as one piece. There are two or three articles in the library on how this is done. One of them was written by me and the file I attached above are improvements I've made to my one piece slimline.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I am confuse by the Rockler directions. On top it says "Blank is 5/8" x 4 1/8" long. Then step one says the blank should be 3 1/16". Is the long brass tube (Long barrel) 4 1 /8" and the short brass tube (short barrel) 3 1/16"? In the picture the short barrel doesn't look that long.

chartle

Its a weird pen and is built much differently then a traditional pen, but is similar in design to the pen described here with a trim ring.

If you are not going to use the comfort grip you need a blank with a total length of 4 1/8 for the top (3 1/16 and the short piece (the rest of the blank) above the tip and below the trim ring.

Last edited:
Top Bottom