One piece Slim in zebrawood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

396631_264688390257900_100001502242963_715178_2070833900_n.jpg

Well, the title pretty much says it all. CA finish, usual stuff.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ve3bax

looks good!

did the wood have a certain... funk... to it?? :biggrin: a turner friend of mine said he thinks it smells like parmesan cheese... i tend to agree... :cool:

--Dave

magpens

Hey! I really like that pen !! I assume you twist the finial to advance the writing mechanism. Must mean some enlarging the hole in the upper half of the blank, assuming you use the supplied transmission. Hmmmmm.

Drstrangefart

looks good!

did the wood have a certain... funk... to it?? :biggrin: a turner friend of mine said he thinks it smells like parmesan cheese... i tend to agree... :cool:

--Dave

Yeah! I thought I noticed something, but I kinda cut a big one (no joke here) while standing at the lathe and it kinda took the workshop over. But when I was drilling I though I smelled the typical wood funk.

Drstrangefart

Hey! I really like that pen !! I assume you twist the finial to advance the writing mechanism. Must mean some enlarging the hole in the upper half of the blank, assuming you use the supplied transmission. Hmmmmm.

It twists at the nib. It's a really really simple design. Just glue the top tube in, assemble the bottom tube bare, and the transmission holds it all in place.

magpens

Thanks for the "how-to". I'd like to try that. New life for old slimline kits !!

Drstrangefart

Thanks for the "how-to". I'd like to try that. New life for old slimline kits !!

No problem. I may have developed a little bit of a history of trying to get the most out of a Slim humanly possible. But that could just be me. I've branched away from that tutorial a bit, as I was shown how to do these by someone else, then added my own process to it, but that'll get you where you wanna go.

Last edited:

SDB777

I've only done the one Zebrawood pen, and then I gave away all the rest of those blanks....thought I'd never get the smell out of the shop. WHEW....smelled something special alright, like something that fell out of a Zebra's backside.

Did you get that experience?

I think Slimlines were meant for a single piece of wood, I find it's the best way to make them look better....just like the one you photo'd here!!!

Scott (well done) B

Drstrangefart

I've only done the one Zebrawood pen, and then I gave away all the rest of those blanks....thought I'd never get the smell out of the shop. WHEW....smelled something special alright, like something that fell out of a Zebra's backside.

Did you get that experience?

I think Slimlines were meant for a single piece of wood, I find it's the best way to make them look better....just like the one you photo'd here!!!

Scott (well done) B

With the work I've done over the years, extreme smells are all too common. If I'm not bugged by antler or when acrylic melts because of bad drill use, then zebrawood has nothing. As I'd mentioned earlier, I did cut the cheese in a pretty severe fashion before I turned the lathe on, so there was only really one smell in the room. Then the CA smell cleared that out.

Alzey

It twists at the nib. It's a really really simple design. Just glue the top tube in, assemble the bottom tube bare, and the transmission holds it all in place.

I did the same sort of thing on few pens. The first one was real hard to get the lower end back out so I to a file and knocked down the ridges on the transmission. Made it easier to take apart since all you have to grab onto is the plated nib.

Top Bottom