One piece retractible pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cjaussiepens

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjaussiepens

Someone mentioned making a one piece pen, so this is the result after a bit of fiddleing about making some special tools to do the job.The wood is flame oak....... cheers......Cj ..

2005722123225_MVC-605F%201piece%20H%20oak.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Simplicity in design, I like the shape, similar to what I have been calling my "Dart"It is ingenious out how you extend the refill,did I say ingenious? <b>Ingenious!</b>It solves the problem of having to hold the nib to make it work as in other designs that have been posted.
That is not meant to detract from those but this is as Lou says:"slicker than goose sh*t!"(in a private e-amil)[^]
Would you mind if I used it in the future?
If the finial is not what makes the refill extend it is still a beautiful pen and thanks for the idea.
Out of curiosity is it a Parker or a Cross style refill?

its_virgil

I can't help since I've not made on or seen one in person, but I'm making one today. I've seen pictures of one or two and think I've decided how to do it. Think "wall street". I'll race ya.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Bev Polmanteer
<br />Wow! I love it! I'd like to know how you made it and what you did to extend the transmission!

cjaussiepens

Thanks for the comments, all.........Jim, Eagle.... this one is using the finial .... but I feel it is hard to grip and now I am making them "blind" and using the tip to extend the CROSS refill. Once you are set up with a couple of special tools it is faster and easier than the other one. I feel it is a true "wooden" pen... Bev... I think it would use up too much space to do a workshop in this part of the forum, is there a place for thus kind of thing? Maybe you could mail me. Catch ya.....Cj ...

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
CJ
I have it figured out how to use the finial to extend the refill.
Maybe not the way you did it but it would work.
The down side is changing out the refill.
Or installing it for that matter.
How about a picture of the pen separated?

woodscavenger

Eagle, I did one a while back that was a one peice with the finial used to turn the transmission but I had the same problem with fitting the insert. I used a dremel or a small rat tail file and out a small slot in the top of the refill so it could be installed with a small screwdriver. I think if I sold it I would make about 5 refills and sell them with the pen and just have them e-mail me if they need more.

I have seen a couple of drug company advertising pens that had small cross type refills that had a small phillips slot built into the black plastic setion on the refill to allow you to refill it.

I guess the other thing you could do is......hmmmm....I think I'll try it before looking like a fool on the forum.....maybe I can sneek some shop time today although it will be 95 degrees and 85% humidity and no AC in my shop.....[xx(]

btboone

Hmm... That's the issue I'm trying to solve as well. I'm looking into a similar mechanism, except I need about 5/8" travel. It needs to fit in the same tight space as a normal one. Doh!

its_virgil

Or, just show the cusomer how easily the black top on the cross style pens can be removed and they can switch the plastic cap when they need to change refills.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br /> I think if I sold it I would make about 5 refills and sell them with the pen and just have them e-mail me if they need more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom