One pen I didn't want to make

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from randywa

randywa

My best friend's 37 year old son passed away Saturday. After seeing the blackwood and holly Majestic Jr. I had made, my friend asked me to make a similar pen for the guest book. This one is a black t/n and rhodium Gatsby with holly. After doing some checking I found out holly was used at life celebrations before it became a Christmas tradition. Fitting I guess, but I hated making this pen.

Attachments

• Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 304
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 241
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimm1

Randy, I'm right there with you. I had a lady ask me to make a pen out of a piece of crib. Sure. Why not. Then I found out that her baby died in that crib from SIDS, I stopped advertising "Special Pens from Special Wood." I don't want another one like that.

Spats139

I made a matched pair of guest book pens for two sisters when their mother passed.

While the occasions themselves may be filled with pain, I like to think that afterward the pens will bring back more pleasant memories of the one who has been lost.

PenMan1

Sorry for your loss, Randy. I, too, have reached the age where I've started losing many of those close to me. I understand your sorrow.

randywa

I think what makes this so sad, is Brian had 3 daughters. The oldest one's 13th birthday will be remembered as the day her Dad died. They think it was caused by an aortic aneurysm.

studioso

very sad story.
but your gesture might very well be a source of solace one day.

an immediate member of my own family died in a similar tragic way. all along I was there holding his hand and head, helplessly. he too left 3 kids, oldest 9 ys old.

I carry at all times a small item that he was carrying at the time. it reminds me of the fragility of life and the importance of being the best people that we can be.

wiset1

So sorry to hear this, there's not much comfort in telling you how great the pen looks when the purpose is not one of celebration. Best wishes to your friend

Top Bottom