One New and One Delayed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
The chrome Zen pen was made using one of exoticblanks.com Purple Haze blanks. I really could have used some Hendrix while turning it! I took it and a few others to work to show around, and it sold in less than 5 minutes.

The chrome Olympia is made with one of Ed's "cat chow" or zebra blanks. I started it long before exoticblanks.com was launched. As I polished it, I was amazed that I could seem to see individual hairs on the blank. While seating the finial and clip assembly, I chipped the blank right dow to the brass. This upset me so much that I set the kit aside for over 6 months. Two days ago, I got it back out and pen milled the blank down until the brass tube was covered with zebra acrylic. Since the center band was firmly CA'd to place, putting it back on the mandrel was out of the question. I buffed the sharp edges of the blank end to soften the angles and then assembled the kit. Yes, it is a touch proud at the finial, but I am rather proud of the result. :)

Comments of all flavors welcome.

Attachments

• purple haze_800x534.jpg
    purple haze_800x534.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 363
  • zebra_800x533.jpg
    zebra_800x533.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 364
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nice save, Cav.

The purple haze always amazes me. LOUD, you betcha' But someone always wants to BUY it.

I've also sold several Zebra to people with businesses named "Zebra" (what a marketing genius - go RIGHT to the END of the yellow page adds!!)

Pretty pens!

Darrin

Great pens there. I always love hearing how other people save their creations. I try to save mine as well...I just add 5 minutes of yelling and swearing before hand ;)

wdcav1952

Great pens there. I always love hearing how other people save their creations. I try to save mine as well...I just add 5 minutes of yelling and swearing before hand ;)

Thanks, Darrin. I neglected to mention that over the six months of inaction, swearing was utilized every time I thought of or saw the kit! :redface:

VisExp

I can't say I'd be standing in line to buy the Purple Haze pen but the Zebra pen looks awesome. I'm glad you were able to salvage it William.

izaks

William - both pens looks great and nice save on the Zebra blank!

Is the Olympia and Presidential CSUSA same kits but with different center band?

Izak.

wdcav1952

William - both pens looks great and nice save on the Zebra blank!

Is the Olympia and Presidential CSUSA same kits but with different center band?

Izak.

Izak,

I've not made the Presidential, so I had to look things up a bit. The Presidential seems to use about the same finial and clip, both kits use a Cross refill.

The Olympia requires two drills, a 9/32" for the lower barrel and an 8.2 mm bit for the upper barrel. Accordingly, the Olympia is slightly larger. The Olympia also requires a tenon to place the center band. I find it to be an elegant pen that doesn't get enough attention. That said, I got angry and didn't make another one when I had the mishap with the zebra one. Now, I guess I need to use some of the kits I have. By the way, the Olympia is only available at ArizonaSilhouette so if you want to try some let me know and I'll get them for you.

Thanks for the kind words.

Top Bottom