One of my best pens.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TBCbushings

TBCbushings

This is a pen I made from a 308 round fired at my grandfathers funeral.Let me know what you think.:)
Brian

Attachments

• bulletpen.jpg
    bulletpen.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 403
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBCbushings

Thank you, forgot to add the wood is from a maple cutting board he had when he was a cook in the navy. The board was tiger maple about 30-40 years old.

Last edited:

jaeger

Very nice! You should use the cutting board and make as many as you can for other family members. They wouldn't all have to be cartridge to have significant meaning to the family.

tseger

I love a pen with a meaning behind it. This brought me back to my Papaw's funeral. You don't know what I would give for a pen like that from the casings used at his funeral. I was only 10 at the time.

oops99

Hey Brian,
Great job and a wonderful tribute, I'm sure it would make him proud.

Tom/oops99

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
What a wonderfully beautiful tribute to your grandfather. Very nicely done!
And I'm sure using that cutting board for more family pens would be treasured as well.

PenPal

Brian

I am deeply moved by your tribute to your grandfather and would like to share an experience at my Dads funeral that I had the privilidge to officiate in 2001. My Dad and my Grandfather as well as me were born in a small City in South Australia my Granddad born in 1880, my Dad in 1906, me in 1934. This area is adjacent to the coast and was huge Lake Country so through various enormous depressions using a 12 guage they supported the family with Crayfish (lobster without the giant claws) and Wild Ducks.
At my Dads funeral where my Mum was placed as well some time before and I had said the final words two wild ducks got up and flew past side by side. Together in the end off on a journey.

The total significance with your grandfather coupled with that oh so precious timber denotes to me what we are all about precious family.

Kind regards Peter.

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Like has already been said, that is a wonderful tribute to your Grandfather.
The best pens in the world are the ones that mean something special.

Also a warm welcome to IAP:biggrin:

Bree

Grandad is probably in heaven shedding a tear of pride looking at your tribute to him. Terrific idea and execution.
:wink::wink::wink:

SamThePenMan

Very nice. I'm not usually a fan of the "bullet" pens(just because theres too much metal), but in this case I think it's awesome. Thats pretty amazing that you were able to use the wood from the cutting board he used!

A friend of mine died a few months ago in a helo training accident in Colorado(after being to Iraq once or twice and being shot down at least once I think). I'm think I'm going to make the American Flag pen as a tribute to him once I get back into pen turning. I'm also thinking about making a case to display it in, and if I can figure out the specifics I may even put in some white LEDS to illuminate the pen at night. When I get closer to making it I may post somewhere in the forum for some ideas on the case.

dustmaker

Brian, I am moved by the sentiment in your pen. You must have loved him dearly. The pen is awesome, but the meaning and memory it represents is priceless. Your pen and sentiment have made my day. Thanks for sharing that one with us.

Top Bottom