This one is for Mr Derek Oliver....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
.....if he wants it, of course.:wink:

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been well entertained by Derek's innovative methods at getting members to join in to his contests. :laugh:

I was so impressed that I actually made this slimline for his Slimline Contest.
But I stopped entering contests a while back....so Derek, I offer this one to you for your great work so far. If you want it, just send me your address.

It is made from two pieces of stainless steel.
It uses the tubes, mech and refill from the slimline kit. That's it.
The top end has an angled concave closed end.
The holes for the tubes were drilled on my metal lathe and all the shaping was done with a couple if files and tons of emery wet'n'dry....and elbow grease:biggrin:

If anyone is looking for inspiration for making a cool unique slim, then just search for Jay Pickens. IIRC, one of his pens was on the front page on the day I joined. :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCF2241.JPG
    DSCF2241.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 381
  • DSCF2239.JPG
    DSCF2239.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 333
  • DSCF2237.JPG
    DSCF2237.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

:airplane: That's not only thinking out of the box, that's hitting it out of the park !!!!!!! That pens looks like it could fly just sitting still. Excellent craftsmanship and vision. Jim S

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the comments......always appreciated:wink::biggrin:

Although this pen is very basic, it did give me a small problem...

Because the 'nib' and the lower blank are the same piece and I wanted a long tapered point, I had to step drill for the refill.
The tip of the refill hole and the brass tube hole were both easy but as you can see from my first attempt, I had a blow out when I tried to drill the size for the refill thicker part, with a bit that was long enough but too big.
The solution, ( which I've done before :rolleyes: so should have known better)was to make a drill bit extension for the correct sized bit.
Took me about 3 minutes to make the extension but about an hour to remake the nib.
Why is there never enough time to do a job properly, but always enough time to do it again????:confused::redface:

Attachments

• DSCF2244.JPG
    DSCF2244.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Pete, I did put some CA in the hole but then I couldn't get the shank of the drill in and had to the drill the CA out again.
I then had to gently press the bit in ( I used my drillpress ) Seems solid enough to drill out the existing hole from 2mm to 3.2mm. I've used Loctite ( blue ) on slightly bigger sizes before.
Cheers:)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
.....if he wants it, of course.:wink:

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been well entertained by Derek's innovative methods at getting members to join in to his contests. :laugh:

I was so impressed that I actually made this slimline for his Slimline Contest.
But I stopped entering contests a while back....so Derek, I offer this one to you for your great work so far. If you want it, just send me your address.

It is made from two pieces of stainless steel.
It uses the tubes, mech and refill from the slimline kit. That's it.
The top end has an angled concave closed end.
The holes for the tubes were drilled on my metal lathe and all the shaping was done with a couple if files and tons of emery wet'n'dry....and elbow grease:biggrin:

If anyone is looking for inspiration for making a cool unique slim, then just search for Jay Pickens. IIRC, one of his pens was on the front page on the day I joined. :biggrin:
Well if you asked real nice, I'd let you make one of those for my collection....

D.Oliver

WOW! Steven, I am truly honored. You've accomplished what mredburn and dalecamino have been trying to do for weeks now. You've left me completely speechless. Thank you.

Last edited:

BJohn

There ais nothing else for me to say that has not been said "JUST DITTO' Absolutely fantastic job.

i wish you lived close by. Would love to get a lesson or two.

Marko50

I'm just relieved you decided not to enter competition's anymore!:rolleyes: ….because I would never stand a chance :eek:

Absolutely beautiful pen, Steven!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
:biggrin:No, no its not. Its just right!:laugh: Notice I have not once referenced an Entry Stealing Varmint in this thread. Although I may have to in the future!

Last edited:

OZturner

Absolutely, Out of This World, Steven.
What a Beautiful Flowing Design, It is the most Glorious Shape I have seen since the "E" Type Jaguar Coupe was Created.
Outstanding Design and Engineering Skill, with more than a pound or two of Elbow Grease.
Thank you for showing this to us, and for raising the Bar, Beyond our Wildest Dreams.
I am in Complete and Total Awe.
Brian.

Top Bottom