One More Time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I wanted

to get better at the solid end pens so I took another try at it.

Over the last few days I turned a green lucite and a gold celluloid. I used a platinum Gentlemen's pen on both, here are my results.

2006124125144_IMG_4227.jpg

2006124125226_IMG_4222.jpg

2006124125248_IMG_4225.jpg

2006124125311_IMG_4217.jpg

All comments and critiques are welcomed...Your last set helped me.
:D:D:D:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DWK5150

Very nice Jim. They kinda look a little short though in the pictures. You ever try making the body just a little bit longer to give it a longer line?

Originally posted by DWK5150
<br />Very nice Jim. They kinda look a little short though in the pictures. You ever try making the body just a little bit longer to give it a longer line?

Thanks Don,

They are actually longer than the standard Gent with hardware...

Take Care,
Jim

Mikey

I like the first two pics a lot with the Yellow being my favorite. I also like the look of the closed ends on the top two, but the one on the bottom looks like something is missing. I think that your design works well with wild/vivid colors, but maybe not so well with the darker stuff.

IF I may ask, where did the pen pouches come from? I bought some like that from Things Remembered, but I also know that BB sells them too.

Originally posted by Mikey
<br />I like the first two pics a lot with the Yellow being my favorite. I also like the look of the closed ends on the top two, but the one on the bottom looks like something is missing. I think that your design works well with wild/vivid colors, but maybe not so well with the darker stuff.

IF I may ask, where did the pen pouches come from? I bought some like that from Things Remembered, but I also know that BB sells them too.

Thanks for your honest comments, I do respect that you took the time to do so..Thank You!
[:D][:D]

I think you are right, colours with more life seem to show up better in an image as well....and having said that I can break that rule and tell you that the green Lucite is one of my best sellers, go figure!!
[:)]
The leather pen case is from BB

JimGo

Jim,
Purely a personal taste thing, but I'm not sure I like the egg shape to the lower barrel. The overall shape is pretty nice, but the end on it leaves something missing for me. Also, the tube is pretty noticable in the 2nd pic of the green lucite.

On the plus side, the fit looks great!

- Jim

vick

Jim,
I love the shape of the body. It is different from what others have been doing but still classic. I think you nailed the whole pen on the 1st one. I am hesitant to say anything with as good as these both look but on the green one it may be a camera angle thing but it appears that the cap could use a little more curve to go with the body. Beautiful work I really like the green lucite blank.

Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />
Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Jim,
Purely a personal taste thing, but I'm not sure I like the egg shape to the lower barrel. The overall shape is pretty nice, but the end on it leaves something missing for me. Also, the tube is pretty noticable in the 2nd pic of the green lucite.

On the plus side, the fit looks great!

- Jim

Thanks Jim,

Solid comments, thank you...one thing I am finding with the more opaque lucites and celluloids is that there is a balance of some transparancy in them. I am thinking for the fountain pen portion of the pen that I need only a small porting of tube length for the hardware, and a smaller diameter for the deeper volume for an ink resevoir,,, I may do a double drill in the pen next time, a counter bore with a 3/8 depth for the ink requirement.

Thanks again, I appreciate the honest critique...I value that.

LanceD

Jim, have you thought about putting a slight curve towards the end and leaving the very end square with just a slight roundness to it ?

Originally posted by LanceD
<br />Jim, have you thought about putting a slight curve towards the end and leaving the very end square with just a slight roundness to it ?

Hi Lance,

I have seen that design and I think they look great. I had some feedback from one customer who showed me one of his $2k fountain pens (can't remember the name) and I liked this flow.

I may try the design you mention and see how it goes...but I just sold the Gold one and the Green is almost spoken for...so ....who knows..??

Thanks for the feedback!
[:)][:)][:)]

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Jim, you're getting there and these are both nice. I'll echo Vick on the green one toough. The body looks rather bulbous compared to the cap.

I completly agree on the shape mis match, they do not match.

I turned the cap first and did not look at it while I was turning the body....that is not going to happen again...great comment, thank you both!!

[:D][:D]

thetalbott4

jim- They look great. The mint one does have the top profile issue, but I like the different shape of the bottoms. At first I wasnt sure about the shape but realized they were different than what we've been seeing (including mine) and that is a good thing. If everybody makes the exact same thing, we'll be looking at the same stuff forever. Thanks. Where does the gold blank come from? I havent seen it at CS. Did you blacken your tubes?

Originally posted by thetalbott4
<br />jim- They look great. The mint one does have the top profile issue, but I like the different shape of the bottoms. At first I wasnt sure about the shape but realized they were different than what we've been seeing (including mine) and that is a good thing. If everybody makes the exact same thing, we'll be looking at the same stuff forever. Thanks. Where does the gold blank come from? I havent seen it at CS. Did you blacken your tubes?

Hi Scott,

Thank for the critique on the forms, I do appreciate the honest feed back, I asked for that and I know I have made some good notes to help me improve my process for the next pen.

Yes indeed teh blank does come from CSUSA, they have some new celluloid's and they look great even just unturned![:D]

The gold is very nice as is the red, blue and brown....they have others...I can easily see them becoming a large part of my inventory for special pens..

Again, thanks for your comments...it's nice to make something that is not the same...it gives a feeling of advancing myself..it's the excitment alive!!

[;)][;)][;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom