One More Time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ed McDonnell

Ed McDonnell

Last May I made a carved aluminum pen. Late last year while struggling with the "masterpiece" pen I posted in a different thread earlier today, I needed to take a break and I decided to recreate the carved alumninum pen using different methods. I managed to knock off a full day from the production time. So, I feel good about that.

The original may pen was left as uncoated raw aluminum as a test. It still looks amazingly shiny. A periodic wipe down with a soft cloth keeps it looking as good as new. The barrels on the current version were dipped in an industrial exterior lacquer that is supposed to last 50 years in this type of application. I won't be around to see that, but here's hoping. I don't know that the lacquer is needed and it may ultimately cause more problems that it might solve. But, I like trying new things.

Looking at the two pens side by side I can't tell them apart (at least by their shininess). This isn't evident in the photo because the two pens are at different angles to the camera and it makes a huge difference. I still haven't gotten the hang of getting a good photo of a mirror like surface.

Time for a picture:

View in Gallery

All comments welcome.

Ed

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Glorious Pens, Ed.
As others have mention, I feel totally overawed, by your Concept and Exercution.
Your refering these as being "carved", which I take to be by hand.
I am really having great difficulty with my mind accepting what I am seeing.
That some one could have such Ability to Conceive, Design, and then Produce such Flawless Items, by Hand.
They are definately, "Works of Art"
Congratulations,
Brian.

While your masterpiece pen is a truly amazing work of art..........I still think these pens are more visually appealing.....at least to me.

Outstanding craftsmanship on all of them !!!!

Charlie_W

This one I really like! Very Elegant and shows Class....not blingy or gaudy at all.
In one hundred years, it will be elegant and classy!

Ed McDonnell

... Your refering these as being "carved", which I take to be by hand...

Hi Brian - Carving those by hand would have been an interesting experience. I enjoy hand carving on woodturnings to embellish them. Here's a picture of my first turning with carved embellishments. It's Norfolk Island Pine 14" (36cm) diameter and 12" (30cm) tall. It took me a day to turn and hollow (1/8" (4mm) wall thickness) the vessel, and then a couple weeks to carve the ruffled rim and feet.

View in Gallery

I'm a bit faster these days, but it is still a big time commitment. Hand carving aluminum is definitely doable (with hand held rotary tools...I don't think I would use gouges or knives on aluminum). But the noise and aluminum dust are not something I would want to deal with (and aluminum dust is pretty hazardous to have spread about the shop).

I used a cnc mill to make these pens. Carving is still the correct term (3D rotary carving to be more specific) and I use my hands quite a bit in the process, but it could in no way be considered "hand carving".

Thanks for the compliments. Hopefully I haven't disappointed you too much by revealing that these are not hand carved. :)

Ed

OZturner

... Your refering these as being "carved", which I take to be by hand...

I used a cnc mill to make these pens. Carving is still the correct term (3D rotary carving to be more specific) and I use my hands quite a bit in the process, but it could in no way be considered "hand carving".

Thanks for the compliments. Hopefully I haven't disappointed you too much by revealing that these are not hand carved. :)

Ed

Not in the least Ed.

I was beginning to feel somewhat inadequate, as there is no way I could conceive, design and produce, objects as complex and detailed as you have.
I was much relieved when you told me that they were produced using CNC.

This has in no way changed my opinion of your Pens, they are Brilliant.
I am still in awe of your Talent, Artistry. Vision, Conception, Planning, and Execution, together with Creating the Code, and in the Painting obviously your Patience is Outstanding.
Also I have learned that I must broaden my perception, and not to take words so literally.
Thank you sincerely,
Brian

Last edited:
Top Bottom