One more flamed ti pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Apologies for a similar posting but I was having loads of fun playing with matches again....:tongue:

I tried to mask areas using bent curved stainless washers held on the titanium tubes with circlips. The mechanics worked out but the resulting finish was junk.:frown:

So I sanded off the mess and started again. I wanted the same colour effect but not the bands of colour like the first one

The pen in the foreground is the result. I really like it.:biggrin: I was meticulous about cleaning it to make sure there was no blemishes. I also took much longer to heat it up. I think it came out ok.

I'll try again one day with the masking......:)

Attachments

• DSCF0944.JPG
    DSCF0944.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 291
  • Flame pens V2.JPG
    Flame pens V2.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 332
  • Flames V2.JPG
    Flames V2.JPG
    264.5 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Fabulous coloration, Steve !!!!!

Will keep an eye out for your next masking ....

carlmorrell

Just love this effect. Almost 20 years ago, I had a custom exhaust made for my ride. It is also scorched titanium. I need one of your pens to go with my bike!

Attachments

• P0001626.jpg
    P0001626.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 242

Skie_M

The masking needs to be of a higher heatsink quality ....

In other words, something that heats up much differently than the metal you are working on.

Try using damp modeling clay mixed with ashes, perhaps? That's how the Japanese swordsmiths do their work to bring out the Hamone on their blades (the differential hardness lines along the blade length).

Jontello

Skiprat. Glad you are back on the forum. We missed you. These are beautiful. If you really don't like them you can send them my way. Hey I was wondering if you. Ishtar be able to teach me a thing or two about kitless if I came to your shop. You sure are a wealth of knowledge. Let me know. Would love to come out some time. Keep up the posts.

Terredax

Banned
That's like I mentioned in your other post.
Now let's see if you can get the rainbow the full length of the pen.
Start at the bottom and fade it to the cap. That would look real nice.

OZturner

Excellent Pens, Steven.
Though they may not be to your complete Satisfaction.
To us Mere, Pen Turners, they are Spectacular.
Such Fine Attention to Specific and Infinite Detail, in a Realm that We can only look in Awe.
Your Pens are Ever so Inspiring.
Congratulations,
Brian.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Jon,
I work away from home, but if we could get our timing right then you would be most welcome. I'm actually going to be in Italy in a few months time. I'm coming over to our factory in Dalmine, near Bergamo to test some equipment and then it gets shipped to the Falklands where I will go and supervise it's installation.
But like I said, you would always be welcome.:biggrin:

Skiprat. Glad you are back on the forum. We missed you. These are beautiful. If you really don't like them you can send them my way. Hey I was wondering if you. Ishtar be able to teach me a thing or two about kitless if I came to your shop. You sure are a wealth of knowledge. Let me know. Would love to come out some time. Keep up the posts.

Top Bottom