One more buffalo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kenny Durrant

Kenny Durrant

This is the second Buffalo pen I've made. It is buffalo horn with an inlay of a buffalo cut out of a North Dacota State Quarter. The other had pic guard accents between the inlay and horn and I made the comment that an aluminum accent would probably look better. Another IAP Member said I could pick up roof flashing at the local hdw. store. So for .60 cents I have enough to last for years. It was hard to turn on the lathe but over all I think it goes better with the silver buffalo and chrome pen kit. Thanks for looking and all comments welcome.

Attachments

• iap pens 001.jpg
    iap pens 001.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 186
  • iap pens 002.jpg
    iap pens 002.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 278
  • iap pens 003.jpg
    iap pens 003.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 170
  • iap pens 004.jpg
    iap pens 004.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 191
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Great job. That is one sharp looking pen. Maybe its the lighting or angle, but it looks like there might be a slight bulge on the right set of bands in the picture. It could be caused during sanding. The horn sands away faster than the metal with leaves the metal a smidge high. Can you feel a bulge when you run your finger over it? Even if there is a slight bulge, this is a great pen.:good::good:

Kenny Durrant

WOW . What a good pair of eyes you have. I just checked and your right. The bands are much harder with the aluminum than the others I usally use and I'm aware that they turn different. I checked for smoothness after sanding with sandpaper but I guess by the time I finished the micromesh it made it a lot worse. I know my eyes and ears are shot but now my sense of touch is out of whack. Just in case my wife reads this I'm sure it's in my mind as well as my hands. Thanks for the heads up.

airborne_r6

Great job. That is one sharp looking pen. Maybe its the lighting or angle, but it looks like there might be a slight bulge on the right set of bands in the picture. It could be caused during sanding. The horn sands away faster than the metal with leaves the metal a smidge high. Can you feel a bulge when you run your finger over it? Even if there is a slight bulge, this is a great pen.:good::good:

Haha, the fact that you picked up on that makes your avatar absolutley hilarious.

I love the pen, it's gorgeous.

paintspill

ok. throw that at anyone that says slimlines are easy. i clicked on the close up first and thought it was a cigar or some other larger pen and was impressed, then i realized it was a slimline or other such style, then i was really impressed. nice job.

Jgrden

:foot-in-mouth:That is a beautiful pen. You can just feel the excellence when looking at it. I wish, however, that you had used a wider center band. I could be wrong. Oh well, just my .02 cents. The inlay that you are able to accomplish are something I admire and do not think could accomplish.

Kenny Durrant

Thanks so much for all the comolements. The center band is the factory band that comes with the kit. It blows my mind to see the pens made without kits. As far as cutting it out or thinning it down it's all by hand. I start with a small pair of vice grips and a dremel tool with a cut off disc to rough cut the buffalo or whatever then use a grinding stone to clear the first layer of silver. When I get to the copper I switch to a sanding drum so it doesn't clog the stone. I go as far as I feel safe then use two sided tape on my finger to thin it so it will bend.

Top Bottom