One for LOML

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
After seeing all Roy's beautiful Bakelite pens, I knew I'd have to have a go at making one. This one is going into my wifes collection cos the other day she asked me what I wanted for my b'day. I said 'Honey, either this gadget OR that gadget' Guess what? She got me both!!:biggrin:

It was a bit tricky to cut accurate angles but even more tricky to make sure the cap and body line up when closed, but I got it :biggrin:

I'm pretty pleased with it.

Comments or critiques welcome:biggrin:

Attachments

• BakeliteAngles6.jpg
    BakeliteAngles6.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 442
  • BakeliteAngles3.jpg
    BakeliteAngles3.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 521
  • BakeliteAngles1.jpg
    BakeliteAngles1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 425

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I think the next World Tour should be Skiprat's Brain instead of Ratty.
I don't know how you come up with this stuff.
This looks great.

The optical illusion in the center band is strong. Even though I can
see from the photo of the open pen that the cut in the center is
square to the tube, it doesn't look like it in the closed photo.
It really throws the eye

LEAP

Damn thats nice! Makes me wish once again I had more time to play with a metal lathe. So Far I've figured out how to make round things a little bit smaller. give me 10 years or so and I'll give you a little competition.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks guys:biggrin: Just gave it to my missus and she likes it too. :eek::biggrin: I think I scored some Brownie Points too as she even ASKED what I wanted for dinner tonight. :biggrin:

louisbry

Exquisite and beautiful. Skip, you are definitely in a different league than most of the rest of us. You have crafted another world class pen!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
..... Makes me wish once again I had more time to play with a metal lathe. ......

wow. I wish I had a metal lathe!

LOL guys !!! :biggrin: You really don't need a metal lathe to make a pen like this. Threads were done with a tap and die. Nib shaped with a file. Steel tube cut with a hacksaw and Bakelite cut on a hand mitre box. The angles on the steel were filed and lapped ( sanding on a flat surface ) to match the Bakelite.

I did use the ML to drill the nib holes though. But my wood lathe is a Pipe Bed type and hopeless at drilling.

Most of my 'better' pens hardly go anywhere near any lathe. I reckon 90% of the work that my ML does is just accurate drilling. :wink:

Russianwolf

Okay Steve, I have a bone to pick. How on earth did you get a look in my sketchbook?????? I swear I drew this same design out about a month ago. My was a Fountain, but still.....

Nice execution.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
A month ago huh Mike??:biggrin:

This one has been in my album for over a year... so WAAAAAAAH:tongue::biggrin:

Attachments

• CopperAngles.jpg
    CopperAngles.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 150

OKLAHOMAN

The man is an artist when it come to a file, if ever I'm in jail I want him as.......aww forget it I just remembered the sheep!!!!!!!!

LOL guys !!! :biggrin: You really don't need a metal lathe to make a pen like this. Threads were done with a tap and die. Nib shaped with a file. Steel tube cut with a hacksaw and Bakelite cut on a hand mitre box. The angles on the steel were filed and lapped ( sanding on a flat surface ) to match the Bakelite.

I did use the ML to drill the nib holes though. But my wood lathe is a Pipe Bed type and hopeless at drilling.

Most of my 'better' pens hardly go anywhere near any lathe. I reckon 90% of the work that my ML does is just accurate drilling. :wink:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
........ What goodies did you get..as in tools, you old dog.:wink:

I got the UK Axminster version of the Foredom pendant motor with two handpieces ( drill chuck and collets ), and a micro adjustable boring head that has a MT3, MT2 and straight shanks. :biggrin: I must have been a very good boy this year:wink:

David Keller

Fantastic pen. I continue to be amazed(and then depressed) by your pens(and my inability to make anything approaching their beauty).

workinforwood

Awesome, the Axminster products are really great. I have a Foredom pendant motor with a few hand pieces and all that too, and it's sweeeeet! Makes a Dremel look pretty sad. You better make her some more pens. My wife never cared about pens until I started making them and now she expects a personal version of every pen I make. It's frustrating and at the same time I don't mind because I like the attention and like that she wants them. The craziest thing ever though is that at the Chicago show I have a pen on display that she wants so bad and she wanted to buy it from me! Imagine that..you want my pen so bad that you would use my money to buy my pen???:confused::biggrin:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
You are one lucky man. Wish I could get away with a few stainless bolts for a birthday present. Happy belated birthday my friend and nice pen as we all expect.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Well, Steve, you did it again. What a beauty!

Unlike Chris, I love clicking on your threads. The fact that I'm going to see something truly unique and inspiring has me in awe of your work.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks again all. :biggrin:

Jeff, you should give your missus that pen. My wife wouldn't ever be willing to buy one of mine. It's more like 'Give it to me....or else'

Bruce R, if I gave her a pen for her b'day, then I'd be sleeping in the shed for a month.:eek:

Bruce B, LOL:biggrin: I still wanna be like you when I grow up. Many of my pens have been inspired by your stuff. You just don't make them often enough.:wink:

Bree

Fantastic job! The pen is great... the creativity and craftsmanship is top of the chart!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

PenPal

Hi Steven

You have done it again so beautifully, like you I am in awe of the great taste of my wife with regard to pens.
I have spent some time in the last months designing from found items as well.

Always follow these dreams of yours I enjoy the satisfaction of your pen designs.

Congrats Peter.

Jim Smith

You make me feel like I'm a paint by numbers person while you are an absolute artist. Another beautiful real CUSTOM made pen.

Thank you for sharing.

Jim Smith

Top Bottom