One for the Lady's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WoodChucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodChucker

Statesman Jr. made from Dyed red maple burl. The finish is two coats of Formby's gloss tung oil and then buffed with the Beal system, then a top coat of TSW and buffed again. First time I finished a pen this way, it took longer but it looks and feels pretty good. Any suggestion on the steps used? Thanks for looking!

StatesmanJrRedMapBurl.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Very sharp. I like the hints of yellow in there. It is funny you metion tongue oil; I have some that we used on our kitchen cabinets last weekend, and thought it might look good on a pen! I have yet to try it, but this certainly gives me more motivation!

PenWorks

Another fine looking pen RT. Great color on the blank.
I think you will find this a more lasting finish, than the friction polish.
I've used Waterlox from CS allot, a couple 2-4 coats really brings out the
grain on some woods and buffs to a nice soft sheen.

jimr

R.T., I am glad to see your post. I have used Fornbys tung oil finish for years on lots of flat work and lots of turned bowls and platters. I often thought of using it on pens but never tried it. If I remember correctly, fornbys tung oil finish is not pure tung oil. I have applied it to bowls with the lathe on, several coats then steel wool then paste wax. I wonder if friction polish, without the wax, on a pen would give that high gloss?

Checked

Formby's tung actually has varnish in it. Glad to see it as I too have used it on flat wood and have a Kitchen table that I finished with it and is the most durable finishes I have used. Just haven't put it on a pen YET.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Absolutely beautiful, R.T. But if you make many more of these purple and pink pens, we're going to have to relocate you to San Francisco!

WoodChucker

Thanks everyone, appreciate all the nice comments!

And for those that thought I spelled "Tung oil" wrong, that is the way Formby's spells it. Might be because it's not a true tongue oil so they spell it different. Don't really know why. [:)]

Jimr, I use friction polish a lot and it gives a nice shine. Some guys say it doesn't hold up, I'm still waiting to see if the stuff I've been using fails and so far its done very well. But its only been a few months (6), so we shall see and then I'll have to come back and say they were right. [:)]

Lou, you dirty dog! [:D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
R.T.--You and Formsby are right. http://waynesword.palomar.edu/tungoil1.htm
Tung oil comes from the seeds of several species of Aleurites, primarily Aleurites fordii, a deciduous shade tree native to China. It belongs to the Euphorbia Family (Euphorbiaceae) along with the candlenut tree (A. molucanna), another species with seeds rich in unsaturated oils. For centuries tung oil has been used for paints and waterproof coatings, and as a component of caulk and mortar. It is an ingredient in "India ink" and is commonly used for a lustrous finish on wood. In fact, the "teak oil" sold for fine furniture is usually refined tung oil. Some woodworkers consider tung oil to be one of the best natural finishes for wood.
And yes, I'm a dirty dog...ask my ex- [:D]

wicook

Well, R.T., you didn't spell "tung" wrong...but one of the commenters did... ;o) Speaking of tung oil, we went for a walk in a forest that was heavily populated with tung trees in Taiwan this past May. At that time of the year, they have a Tung Tree Festival all through Taiwan (probably parts of China, too). The Chinese talk about "Snow in May" because the little white tung tree flowers fall so heavily that they cover the ground. It's a fascinating sight.

WoodChucker

Thanks Bill! I bet that was pretty,did you take any pics that you could post? [:)]

Randy [;)]

Thanks Jeff & Jim! Appreciate all the comments!

PenWorks

RT, your starting to be quite the LADIES man with your wares. [:)]
Does the Mrs. know your out there having pen parties with the women [?] [:D]

jdavis

Very nice job on pen RT. Color is outstanding. Pretty grain. Finish is outstanding. Sanding and finish make the product. That is what I tell my students.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom