This one was fun

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chasper

Chasper

I believe it is Bakelite. It was very hard, it turned best with a carbide cutter. This came from a yard sale; knife, fork and spool set for .25. This one is the handle from the spoon.

Attachments

• Bakelite.jpg
    Bakelite.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 479
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Gerry it's a beauty! I bought several serving pieces this past weekend at a show we went to look at. I can't wait to cut it up and see what can do with it!

alphageek

Former Moderator
Holy cow! I'd have to agree with Cav.. That sure looks like bakelite and is beautiful. If I thought I could find something like that in rummage sales, I'd be there!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sure looks like bakelite, Gerry. But, bakelite is NOT hard. Smells sweet (sickeningly) but comes off in ribbons pretty easily.

Whatever the material, it is a GREAT looking pen!!!

Chasper

It was pure luck to find this, we had no idea what it was and we only bought it to resell on ebay. I only thought of it as a pen material when the idea came up on IAP.

Now that I know that there is a collector market for old bakelite items I think it is possible that it would have been worth more as a spoon than as a pen. We haven't found any more, but am always looking.

The golden rule of shopping flea markets and garage sales for treasures to sell on ebay: For every item you buy for .25 and sell for $100, there will be 100 items that you buy for $1.00 and throw in the trash.

Top Bottom